Author Topic: Remap group day  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
Remap group day
« on: June 21, 2018, 18:30:43 »
I've been in contact with mark at hilltop about a group booking for a remap day. Usual price £360 but 5/6 he'll drop the price to £300. Are there any other members that are interested in coming to hilltop for a group remap day. If so either leave your name here or send me a pm.

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
Re: Remap group day
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 19:29:46 »
Count me in.

Offline Plumbit101

• Bike: DL650 2012, V-strom 1000 2016
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 13:48:44 »
I'm interested if you can arrange a day?

Offline Jack Meoff

• Bike: 2015 Dl1000 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 16:30:29 »
when are you thinking of going? I may be up for it

Offline paulja

• Bike: DL1000XT L8
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 23:35:29 »
I already had this done at Hilltop (March), I got 3bhp extra, but they said my bike was pretty much perfect to start with. Ask them if they have solved the power drop between 2500-3000 that they INTRODUCED, because they said they would fix this but never did.

Anyone want further info, PM me I'll send you the dyno.

PS they make terrible tea, you have been warned  :shock:
In my defence, she did leave me unsupervised.

Offline Jack Meoff

• Bike: 2015 Dl1000 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 06:40:15 »
That doesn't sound too promising.... 3 hp for 3 hundred quid...
 pm sent

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 06:54:02 »
I looked at the claimed figures on the dyno chart, no way can the mid range gains be achieved without some spanner work,just by an ecu flash,or power commander for that matter.
If you need more thrust from your Veek, you will have to get rid of the exhaust valve, maybe airbox mods, such as I have done,and get the bike on a dyno with a tuner and have it set up, also a gizmo to fool the ecu into thinking is in fourth gear such as the xtre.
There is no avoiding that if you are seeking more than smoothing out your power delivery, talk to any tuning shop, the stock setup does not support gains on fuel and timing adjustment alone.
I'm probably going to get shot down in flames, but there is no magic bullet lads,£300 is hard earnt..... :fix:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 08:31:44 »
Really ? another few BHP ... Surely the best way to get more power out of a Strom -- sell it and buy a KTM
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 13:06:41 »
Buying a KTM may get you more power. But power is nothing without reliability.

Offline porter

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 15:39:19 »
The KTM and multistrada I rode on demo are in a different league to the strom performance wise. They both kick hard at 6000rpm where my strom just dies. But yes they cost more to buy and run and they might be less reliable but they're more fun too.

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 21:13:38 »
I must say I’m on the side of the nay-sayers.
My Glee is woefully underpowered when I go to the TT, but for 90% of the time is more than adequate.
I can understand the desire for ‘a little more’, but even if you bought a 1000 Strom, they are essential ‘a useable tool’, rather than a rip-snorting monster.
It’d be interesting to know what the result is, against that claimed, but even then, personally, I’d rather spend the cash on a ferry ticket and a few tanks of ‘Sans Plomb’.
If you get it done, keep us updated Captain. ????

Offline paulja

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 22:50:32 »
I have replied to those who wanted the dyno ;-)

To put things into context, if your bike is running well (no problems) then the remap can do small things at best. In my case I got more torque further down the rpm with zero effect on mpg (so that was good), but it didn't fix the problem I actually wanted fixing (low rpm fueling). If your bike is running lean then they can release more ponies by enriching the mixture- one bloke got an extra 30 ponies at the top end on his XR, not that he can use it unless he thrashes the nads off it.

My advice is do Hilltop if you have changed stuff in a major way. It seems the electronic approach is governed by exactly the same rules as the Carbs of old, that is you need to change stuff that affects the mixture BEFORE you hit the dyno.

I'll add something else, Power Commander will not do jack to any bike built after 2014, I got this from the authorised System Commander fitter when talking about my brothers 2017 VFR, to use his exact words "it will not deliver the expected improvements".

I met 2x blokes on Versys, both had the Powerplug fitted, it worked on one, but not the other when eradicating the Euro 4 strangle at low RPM. Basically it's all a crap shoot.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 05:46:42 »
 :text-goodpost:

As Wurzel has said, get more air in and move the exhaust gasses out faster is the way for more power. This equals mechanical mods. I've been there done that, it is quite addictive but also quite satisfying and can be expensive.

My undestanding of the Hilltop service is that they will remap all the Euro 4 crap out of your 'bike so that it will run at it's optimum whatever the conditions and whatever you might add or take away from it in the future. Down the line you may decide to fit the Arrow or other header pipes, alter the air box, change the cams, their remap will adjust the ratio's accordingly with out the need for another visit to the dyno.

Hilltop have an excellent on line reputation, they are very well thought of on the KTM, Triumph and BMW boards with people reporting improvements in the way the engine performs and feels. Please do not confuse this with "3 bhp for £300".

I defy anyone of us to be able to identify 3 bhp. :stirpot:

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 10:31:40 »
   Hilltop do have a good rep on a few forums, though I would dispute claims of over 50% increase in torque over a healthy stock bike through the low to mid range,that simply does not happen, (look at their intro thread and dyno graph).
   The stock bike results look like they had a sick bike on the dyno, they do better than that in good health.
   The end results are not wildly different from what you can expect, though this example
  seems to have transformed from a particularly weak example to a very strong bike as a stock machine.
Again, a 50% torque increase ...I call that codswallop.... :old:

Offline paulja

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 20:01:01 »
My torque went 56 to 69, and I get it lower down, which made me happier than the 3hp at the top end lol

Oh, after the dyno your bike will show a Fault light, to clear it, ride for 20minutes, then park the bike up for 20mins.

Hilltop can be trusted, just as PDQ can be trusted, but don't expect miracles.