Author Topic: broke down  (Read 2059 times)

Offline 1monkey1

broke down
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:25:15 »
Well I had a great time with my son at Brands Hatch.
Stopped over for the night at a prem inn.Then off home on the Monday.
On way down seemed to use a bit more petrol than usual. Put that down to the fact my son was on the back, the speed and full luggage. Nothing to do with my slender frame!!
On way back bike seemed a bit chuggy, misfiring a few times when I was filtering on the M1. At speed it was OK but still didn't feel right.
I came off motorway abt a hour from home, was well and truly board with Mway driving.
I was on the A51 to Chester, hit some slow trafic. Started overtaking, thought I love being on a bike!
Just abt to to overtake Harry in his Nissan micra that's never gone over 45 mph! Gave it some throttle, then bang. Engine noise went up,lost power,could smell fuel. Had to pull over by Tarvin round about ( big thanks to the 3 bikes that went past and didn't bother stopping!!)
 Have read on here abt the rubbers getting blown off from top of head to the injectors, so thought I would check that 1st. Tool kit out, tank off by road side, no rubbers still on.
Oh well time to call AA. Put it all back together, thought I would turn it over while having a look at engine.
Followed the noise and bugger me saw white tip of the spark plug poking out from under the rad and the HT lead just hanging down!!
Plug back in cap back on and hay ho off we go.
Now start to see my arse because 2 months ago I paid over 200 of my hard earned pennies, for a M O T and service.
So today going to put my BIG boots on and do some serious Donkey kicking at my local bike garage!!
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: broke down
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:38:43 »
Did the plug go back in easily, monkey1? I mean, it wasn't the thread stripped was it? good luck with the arse-kicking btw :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline 1monkey1

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:21 »
Quote removed
that's what I 1st thought but no it went in fine. One thing I did notice was that head of the plug was dirty and no way looks like it was only a few months old so don't recon they changed the plugs .
will have to check on bill if I have been charged for it. Bike has only done 9 thou , but would of thought they had checked the state of plugs.
Nothing worse than kicking off when you have not got your facts right. Unless you are my misses!!

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:36:29 »
Do you mean the HT lead had become detached from the plug? or that the plug had actually come out?

If it was just a loose lead, well, that can happen. If the plug hadn't been tightened then someone cocked up.

If that cylinder had been firing intermittently (sounds like it was) then that would explain the state of the plug - especially if it had black sooty deposits.

Offline 1monkey1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:52:37 »
No fat belly the ht lead was just hanging not on the end of the plug. Must of got detached when plug was fired out. As for it being dirty I ment the bit of white porcilen(excuse spelling of that!!) you know the bit that the plug cap dose not cover, not the business end which was golden brown.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:51 »
Ah! Got it. Sounds like you need to get out your best ball-kicking boots!

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 16:52:08 »
Quote removed

+1 for a hefty hoof in the clems   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 15:43:42 »
head of the plug was dirty and no way looks like it was only a few months old so don't recon they changed the plugs. will have to check on bill if I have been charged for it. Bike has only done 9 thou , but would of thought they had checked the state of plugs.

You don't say what bike you have but if it's a Strom running original iridium plugs, then actually you should be pissed off if they have changed them (they aren't cheap), because those things will often outlive the actual bike!   I think the jury's out as to whether the plugs should have been pulled for checking (because they wear really slowly) - not sure about that.
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 16:59:09 »
At 9k miles I wouldn't have checked the plugs . With that said , it's sounds like they did pull the front plug but not tighten it back up properly. ?
Chief trouble maker 🙂