Author Topic: Rear Spindle Axle  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Metro Strommer

• Bike: V Strom 650
Rear Spindle Axle
« on: May 04, 2018, 18:29:08 »
Hi all sorry to repost this again but it's got me very confused as different dealers are giving conflicting information and I still have not had a Response from Suzuki as yet.

As stated previously I have a 2014 V Strom 650 when I'm doing a chain adjustments and I tighten my axle nut up to spec I can still turn my axle from either side and it rotates I think some might think I meant I have to hold one side with a socket to undo but when I'm doing it back up I have to do the same and when I tighten it up to 100 Newton's I can then put a socket either side and the axle rotates it has been like this since new I have done over 10,000 MLS like this without problems it's only now I'm been told it's not right can anyone point me in the right direction or offer any advice please.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Rear Spindle Axle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 19:03:33 »
Despite what the manual says you can't be tightening it up properly so nip it up even tighter. Don't be afraid , you are not strong enough to strip the thread unless you are using a 3ft long breaker bar.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Silverback

• Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 19:31:49 »
As Kwackboy says it's not tight enough....the only other thing I can think of is that your nut is at the end of the spindle thread, but as it's been like it from new its unlikely it's got the wrong spindle fitted.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 19:55:08 »
I've rarely worked on a bike where  I haven't had to hold the bolt head while tightening the nut. The tightness overcomes the ease of the bolt turning and it's only necessary to tighten/torque the nut.  :fix:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 20:52:08 »
How easily does the spindle turn after you have tightened it? Freely or hard to turn?
Have you tried just tightening a little further?

Offline Metro Strommer

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 21:44:15 »
Very freeley even the tyre fitter said he could not get it any tighter I told him it was like that from new we have tried tightening it more but still not tighting up anymore think I'm going to have bite the bullet and get it in to the dealers bike rides exactly the same as when I picked it up there is no play side to side and nothing was found at the last not I'm sorry I never just took it back to the dealers when I first noticed it.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 21:59:23 »
It should all pinch up tight,sounds like you are running out of thread on the axle,if all the washers and spacers are correct,and outside of the bearing inner races are correct spacings it sounds like the axle is not right.

Offline Oilspill

• Bike: 2014 V Strom 650
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 22:35:59 »
Any chance you could post a photo of each side?  I presume when you say new, you've had it from day 1.

Offline Silverback

• Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 22:38:02 »
Why not try a washer....if it then pinches up tight there's not enough thread on the spindle. Seems weird though.

Offline Metro Strommer

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 23:03:42 »
Yes I've had it from new it's doing my head in there is not enough space on the thread to put a washer on plus it's never had a washer on it I will try and post some pictures tomorrow in day light.

Online user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 23:33:42 »
My old vstrom looked like this, I have changed the axle round to make fitting of the wheel easier  :thumb:

Has anyone had the wheel out? there is a spacer that should only go one way as it has a bevelled edge . Number 10 in the picture
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline Metro Strommer

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 11:43:48 »
Finally no wonder if was not tighting up nut was seized and would not come off the spindle it was stuck solid last couple of turns just the nut was spinning on axle just about to get the grinder out but managed to get a flat bar behind nut and finally got it off I've got a new nut but can't get one ordered till Tuesday they said providing one using the country I should get it by Thursday hope so going camping in Wales on Friday fingers crossed.

Will it be OK to take bike off paddock stand to get it in the garage as I don't want to attempt to put this nut back on.

Offline Oilspill

• Bike: 2014 V Strom 650
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 12:12:30 »
Good job!  Don't know if this helps, but here's a pic of my spindle with the nut off, looks slightly different - is it possible the nut has been cross threaded at some stage?? (Ever had a new tyre fitted?)

Is there a dealership or good motorcycle place near you, I would have thought a new nut should be pretty easy to pick up, especially from a dealer?

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 12:31:41 »
Unfortunately I'd say that spindle is toast. There's no metal left to cut a new thread in the missing parts. It looks as if the nut has seized / galled and taken a fair chunk of spindle thread with it.
Surprising on a new bike.

Offline Metro Strommer

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 13:27:26 »
I had new tyres fitted in September before a 2,000 ml trip touring Scotland it was the fitter that said axle was turning and I told him it had done from new so I think it's not been right from day one and possibly the tyre fitter has used a air gun on it but it's done now just enoying I've got to wait till Tuesday to place the order they have said if one's in stock they can get it for Thursday for me.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 19:15:54 »
 A new spindle and nut is required there. Looks like King Kong's big brother has had a go at tightening that one...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 20:39:53 »
Yep, new axle and nut for sure, unusual to see that on a new bike as said.