Author Topic: Smartphone Mount  (Read 1001 times)

Offline markyp33

• Bike: Honda Blackbird 2002, DL1000 K5, Honda CX500
Smartphone Mount
« on: October 02, 2017, 13:44:09 »
Hi
I have a 2005 DL1000, and want to mount my smartphone to use as a Satnav. I have successfully used it on my other bikes, using Google Maps. I don't have it connected on Bluetooth and just use the visual, with all my calls diverted to voice mail whilst I'm riding.

I am using the Ultimateaddons Tough case which is water proof so it doesn't matter about the protection level. What would be the best place to mount it - on a fork stem ball adapter, a handlebar clamp or the custom Vstrom ball adapter (that bolts to the screen mount). I have an MRA screen with Motostad brackets fitted so would prefer not to mess with this if possible.

Have anyone got experience of fitting and riding with these setups? All advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance  ;-)

PS. I know some of you will recommend using a dedicated Satnav but I have used Google Maps on my phone for the bike and car for the last three years and travel around 40,000 miles a year with no problems. I commute to London City from the Midlands three days a week and it never loses a signal. Traffic updates are really current and accurate too. I have the speed limit overlay too which is handy.

Offline Rich:-)

Re: Smartphone Mount
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 16:10:22 »
I have a similar setup, Madstad bracket etc..
I have 2 holders on the bike.
My main holder goes above the dash, and I think that's where it needs to be if you rely on visual directions.
I have a 2nd holder on the bars that is just there to hold & charge my phone, but I have used that for Sat Nav too.

To mount the Sat Nav above the dash I made up a bracket which consists of 2 alloy fingers and a short length of old handlebar.
The only thing to be aware of, when mounting a Sat Nav above the dash, is the airflow. A very chunky Sat Nav can cut the air coming through from under the screen, which can lead to a return of the buffeting.
This is no issue with my Garmin Montana but previously I was using a larger WinCE device (in a case) and that would fill that space pretty well.

Offline markyp33

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 16:43:50 »
Thanks for that Rich. Good point about having it above the dash so it is more in my line of sight. Interesting about the airflow too, as my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8+ which is large. Maybe have to make the brackets to suit.
Great reply. Cheers

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 17:25:36 »
I only realised the Sat Nav case was blocking the air when I set out for a ride without the holder on. I was musing how nice it was to have zero wind noise when it struck me what had changed.
I think it was also that I had set the screen position without having the Sat Nav on, so later adding the Sat Nav had changed things.
Maybe some further adjustment could have allowed for the Sat Nav.. I don't know..
If you make your own bracket you can ensure the Sat Nav case sits forward a little more and thus lets the air pass better around it.

Offline markyp33

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 17:59:43 »
That's good info - I like a tinker but I only like doing things once lol