Author Topic: What good to use in service  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
What good to use in service
« on: July 19, 2017, 15:34:33 »
Hi everyone

Couple of stupid simples questions, but it been a while since I had such a modern bike and I just getting me head around my valve quandary.

It is about service parts and the best for the bike, so here goes:

Oil filter and air filter are hiflow ones OK, not considering a k&n.

Coolant, all a bit to modern with all the colours, is this one OK, as I have a Halfords trade card so quite cheap-

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres

Why on earth they put porridge in anti freeze I will never know!

Turning to oil and no don't want to start another oil thread just would like your valuable knowledge. I have loads of 10w 40 part synthetic in my garage left over, I presume oil don't have a best by date as some of this is about 7 years old but in sealed containers.

The two I have are car oils here are the specs would they be OK to use please any ideas.:

Halfords 10w 40 Part Synthetic Motor Oil
API SL CF ACEA A3 B3

Castro GTX 10w 40 Part Synthetic Motor Oil
API SC CF ACEA A3 before

If not would this be OK, again because of trade card:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/halfords-motorcycle-engine-oil-part-synthetic-10w-40-5ltr

Cheers

Ian

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
Re: What good to use in service
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 16:16:42 »
Car oil is no good for bikes unless it's a case of no oil and you are stuck in Mongolia with a bunch of bandits after you....or an ex wife. Throw the bugger away. Hi flow filters are fine. I use Halfords motorbike 10/40 and have no problems. The main thing is to change the oil when you should or a little sooner and of course keep it up to level.

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 17:17:30 »
+1
You're good apart from the oil.
No doubt there's someone somewhere running car oil in their bike and it's been fine for forever.... but car oil may make you clutch slip plus may not last as long or protect as well.

Offline Sasquatch

• Bike: DL650GT K9
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 21:04:19 »
I did run car oil in my 125  :shy:. wrong grade Fuchs 5w30   :shy: :shy: clutch was slipping after ~500 miles, change of oil sorted it after another ~500 miles. That's what happens when you drain and dispose of old oil before you check if parcel from wemoto contains oil  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 21:16:50 »
Typically, the only difference between 10W-40 car oil and bike oil is the label. As long as the viscosity is correct, you're using name brand oil and it isn't marked energy conserving, it's fine. Kith's DL1000 that had 430,000 miles on it the last time I looked always used car oil.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Moo

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 21:27:06 »
The difference between car and bike oil is a JASO MA or MA2 rating which designates its a non friction modified oil suitable for use in a single oil system where the engine, gearbox and clutch run in the same oil.

Take a look on ebay, you can buy decent 10w-40 oil for around £19 for 4 litres.

Everything else is fine, I use the same coolant and never had any problems. Hiflow are a great brand  :grin:

Offline greywolf

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 23:14:29 »
Car oil can be JASO MA compliant but not be labeled as such because the oil company chose not to pay to have it tested or because they want people to pay more for bike oil. Shell Rotella T6 picked up an MA rating a few years back because Shell saw an opportunity to sell their diesel lorry oil to motorcyclists and submitted it for testing. The formula was not changed.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 06:22:02 »
I have used semi synthetic oil in my bikes before and all was fine. I know we've all heard stories of slipping clutches but as far as I am aware these were mainly to do with fully synthetic oils (cue many replies...)
You can always try the oil you've already got, as it's in a sealed container it will still be good, if you get clutch slip just drain it out.

I've always used HiFlo filters, never had a problem.

Before going into Halfords with your trade card just have a look around a few other places as Halfords might not be the cheapest. Tesco had a fantastic offer on a while ago...

Shell Rotella T6 picked up an MA rating a few years back because Shell saw an opportunity to sell their diesel lorry oil to motorcyclists and submitted it for testing. The formula was not changed.

I used Morris Ringfree oil in my FJ1200 for years. It is essentially a 'lorry oil'. Morris also produce some bike specific oils which happen to be more expensive but the Morris salesman said it was the same stuff with a more expensive label on the tin.

The best tip I've ever been given regarding oil is... If you need it now then get it, if you see it on offer at say £4 off and it's a genuine offer then get some because you'll need it sooner or later.

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 19:20:21 »
The best tip I've ever been given regarding oil is... If you need it now then get it, if you see it on offer at say £4 off and it's a genuine offer then get some because you'll need it sooner or later.

Agreed, I bought a load (28ltrs) of Hein Gericke own brand when they were closing stores, at the lovely price of £10 for 4 litres  :grin: