Author Topic: Nice trip  (Read 1631 times)

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
Nice trip
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:58:14 »
Not long returned from a nice loop around Spain. 

Arrived in Santander from the Plymouth ferry and headed South in basically a ‘loop’ heading down to the Sierra Nevada  and back up.  Took in 5 National Parks, some  I had never been to before, and a stunning trip.  I am fortunate in that I get to travel a bit and Spain is still one of my favourite biking destinations due to the great roads, great perfect weather, stunning scenery and cheapness of living away from the tourist bits down south.

I covered 1800 miles.  I think about 30 miles in total on Spanish motorways, mostly N roads or lesser. I shared with my regular biking mate who rides a Guzzi Stelvio.   Now that is one hell of a beast to be avoided at all costs, although thankfully this year nothing vibrated and fell off it as has happened in most other years.

The V strom.  This was my third tour on it.  Since my last trip in September of 16 I have added a Sargent seat  that I picked up second hand on this forum last autumn.  That is a good seat and long days in the saddle were a total breeze and my arse was fine.

My Bike was faultless.  It is a real touring machine now with the few simple additions made in my year, and a bit, of ownership.   The Givi  ‘Air Flow’ screen is simply great.  On a few occasions I swopped bikes with my mate and rode his Stelvio.  That has a barn door of a screen and the ‘buffeting’ is   mega.  It made be want to get back on my bike pretty quick.

My bike certainly has a sweet spot between 4 and 6K in the rev range.  to be honest not much point in taking it over 6K as just makes a load noise and not too much more.

It never used a drop of engine oil, the chain never needed any attention (thanks Scotoiler Ltd).

My fuel consumption remained constant, in low 50’s mpg.  One tank full when at a slower pace in the ‘ twisties’ actually got 57, which is best ever. 

My tyres are now heading towards the end of their life.  They are still legal with a couple of mil left on the rear at 8000 miles.    Thinking about getting myself some Avons that were always great on previous Bikes.

Where next then !
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline Simmo24

• Bike: 2020 KTM 790 Adventure
Re: Nice trip
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:15 »

Sounds Great !

I went to Spain & the Pyrennees 2 years ago with mine and as you say it's a brilliant touring bike, just start and go, good mpg and faultless mechanics. It may not be as bling as some of it's more expensive contemporarys, but it's great to ride.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
Always try just one more time. -Thomas Edison

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 14:35:54 »
Sounds a great trip, they are a good bike for the job for sure, I found 750 miles in a day achievable, so they are up to a big hit, and equaly good at bimbling along.

Offline trotts

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 15:02:50 »
Greetings Simmo.

The ferry going out was rammed with Bikes. As per normal I was only V Strom DL1000 and saw one other 650 version.  Loads usual GSers and surprisingly (or perhaps not) loads of Yamaha MT 9 Tracers. All seemed to be solo Tourers. (rode one today as it happens). Certainly popular.
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline porter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 17:30:45 »
How does the tracer compare to the Veek trotts?
I like my Veek OK, I'm not as over the moon as some but its OK for the money.  But I'd like a lighter bike, thought about the tracer.  But I also ride two up most of the time,  not sure there's the room on it the strom has.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 19:59:08 »
From when I tested the tracer, pillion space looked small, wind protection is non-existent and the suspension was harsh. I wouldn't buy one for 2-up touring.

Offline trotts

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 23:05:28 »
Re the Tracer.

I concur fully with the last poster. (UK V Strom 650)  If you want a two up mount I would respectfully suggest this is not for you, BUT my take on it followed a lot of what I have read, and seen on line, about the Bike.

The saddle gave me a sore arse after an hour.  The screen was like a handkerchief in front of you.

These things can also be sorted for not too many pounds (as I have done with my V)

The suspension (I asked about it on my  return) was really stiff and that was factory setting.  The engine I thought was a peach, I have owned Tigers before and ridden 3 pot Bikes in my past.  Very smooth, and really powerful.

If you are a solo rider you can certainly address the screen ( I see many online aftermarket ones from usual like MRA ) and Yamaha do a comfort seat.

The hand guards were really weird, actually massive !

What I also noticed was at 60mph you were ticking over at 4K revs. 70 mph you were doing 4.6K revs approx.

I felt a tingling through the bars at various revs, but in town it was so easy to 'pottle' in traffic in a high gear, and open it up when the road clears without working the box.

I enjoyed my 'play time' with the Tracer.  I am grateful to the stealers who want me to trade my V Strom for one.  When I rode my bike home after being on the Tracer I certainly preferred mine and do not entertain a change.  I had so much more room, leg room, better riding position. Most things were better, but perhaps the engine on the Tracer wins.  Luggage is also more problematic on the Tracer, but other issues can be sorted.

Yes, I can see why so many people shell out ones hard earned on it.  Certainly better than a Tiger 800 ?? :smirk:

Offline porter

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:54:34 »
Thanks for taken the time to do the write up.  If I was solo I'd buy one but I'm not so looks like my search goes on.
Maybe look at the versy 650, new 650 strom r back to a tiger800.  Cheers

Offline Witches70

• Bike: 2014 Dl 1000
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:39:52 »
Sounds a great trip trotts , another faultless trip by the 1000 range again , I trust you had good weather ??
I'm off to Europe in 2 weeks again on my 1000 and I'm so looking forward to my trip , your report has put me in the mood for my travels now . :dl_hyperhysteria:
Thanks  :thumb:
I stand tall,  but I am short
I shout loud, but I am quiet
I ride a DL1000 and Proud.

Offline trotts

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 09:13:24 »

Cannot recall why you considering a change but FWIW I would think about a few additions to transform your bike, a quality shock (even a Hagon would blow away the stock as I found out on my Bandit 1250) a Power Commander Fuel controller (cheaper than a PV V does exactly same thing) your fuelling will be perfect ! Consider having your seat changed for even better comfort (Tony Archer in Huddersfield top man)  If you still want to change in the future all these goodies will fetch good money !

I have not changed my OE shock, most likely do that this year.  Aware a few who post here have changed and another massive improvement

Offline porter

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 09:34:27 »
I find the bike a bit to heavy two up and the v twin harder to ride at low speed. And this is my third year on her though not many miles 14k.
My shock is beginning to go, you can feel it in compression  I've a hyperpro spring on it, and hagon fork springs up front.
No fuel controller just a x-tre which I've just removed as I've a low speed miss fire I'm trying to find!
I bought the shad comfort seat, its not so don't! lol
Just got that 3 year itch at the moment!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 12:05:52 »
My brother has a new style Versys 650. It's a much more sporty setup than the Glee, narrower bars, firmer suspension, better brakes. You sit more on the bike than in it, and are tilted forward more than the Glee.

I've been on the back of the Versys (when the Glee had broken down) and thought it was OK (5ft 11) although my brother's gear changing technique was a bit harsh.