Author Topic: Major Service - Torque Settings Confirmation Request  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Descolada

Major Service - Torque Settings Confirmation Request
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:04:12 »
Hi All,

I am doing a major service on my wee K9 this weekend. I have just completed the oil and filter change but wanted to ask for confirmation of the drain plug torque settings and the service manual advice on tightening the new oil filter.

The service manual states that the oil drain plug should be torqued up to 21Nm - but that doesn't seem awfully tight. I realise that it's going into aluminium and that's an accident waiting to happen if you overtighten, but with a new crush washer I am concerned that the engine will warm up, squeeze the new washer and, when it cools down, leave the drain plug a little loose.

Is 21Nm still the accepted torque for this oil drain plug?

With regards to the oil filter (I've done it a few times now but it always catches me out). The service manual says to apply a thin bead of fresh oil to the rubber seal and then to wind on the filter until it touches the housing. At that point you use the oil filter tool (yep, using one of this as well) to wind it on a further two complete turns.

I have never succeeded in this, two full turns is just too tight. At best I have always managed somewhere between 1.1/2 to 1.3/4. Going any further is (to me) courting disaster.

What is you experience with these settings please?

Des

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
Re: Major Service - Torque Settings Confirmation Request
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:41:47 »
I wouldn't worry about it too much my mate. I've never used my torque wrench on the drain plug and just tighten the filter till....well its tight. Never in all my time had a problem with either... or a leak. In fact I don't think I have ever replaced a sump washer either!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 15:29:55 »
Those values are correct if you are using a Suzuki brand filter. Aftermarket filters will need 3/4 turn, one full turn or hand tight depending on the brand. Check the manufacturer's information. Suzuki filters have a large cross section, soft gasket that is designed to compress more than other brands. As long as you get well over one turn, it will probably be fine though.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 21:58:46 »
The drain bolt torque is correct, you have to get the washer the right way around, and mine has never leaked at the setting.
I torqued my Suzuki filter and it only went 1 3/4 turns to torque rather than the 2 suggested. I left it at that and again it's never leaked.