Author Topic: Leg Height - Cropping the rubber seat cushions - Undecided  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Descolada

Has anyone taken the decision to chop (remove or skim) the rubber seat blocks (Suzuki refers to them as 'cushion 45149-31300') in order to lower the hight on their wee. I was looking at a couple of discussions recently that suggested it was viable way to deal with lowering the seating height for the 'height challenged' rider.

Now, if you decide to revert and don't like the outcome it's going to cost around 5ukp EACH replace these babies - just for a lump of rubber, so I wouldn't undertake this lightly.

My question is this, if you remove or skim the rubber cushions does that not turn the seat into an almost fully floating assembly, given that the spacing parameters are all out of whack and no longer hold the seat in place properly?

Offline In me shed

• Bike: Gleek 650 XT AL6, BMW R1100RS, KH250 Tripple,
Re: Leg Height - Cropping the rubber seat cushions - Undecided
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 21:57:49 »
I cut all mine in half, the seat does lift up a bit but still seems secure.

I also bought the lower seat so still have the standard one with all 4 blocks intact.

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Bike: KLV1000 2004
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:19 »
I may be confusing this with another bike, but I think they are held in place with just a couple of "mushroom- shaped" plugs on the rubber block moulding. If you pull them carefully - and with a bit of lubricant - they will just pop out and can be just as easily be replaced.

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:49:42 »
Flying Panman is correct there is also a bit of glue as well. Go gently and they will just pull out to refit later if you don't like it.

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:55:16 »
That's what I did.

Put them 'somewhere safe' several ago.

Guess what?

It does help though. I used some thin adhesive rubber strip to prevent rubbing the frame.
I look quick therefore I am.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 12:36:17 »
To go back to the original question, how for instance does the seat latch still hold tight and line up correctly when the seat's lowered? And where the seat's shaped to go round the tank, what happens there?

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Bike: KLV1000 2004
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 14:01:11 »
I think you'll find it's still secured by the locking latch and hooks but probably rattles around a bit. Why not take the rubber blocks off and see for yourself? Like others have said, a bit of Evo-Stik type glue may be used along with the mushroom plugs. Still fairly easy to remove.

I assume you've looked into the OEM variety of seat sizes compared to what you've got? I'm sure there's a low, medium, high, and extra high (bought for my KLV1000) available.

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 17:50:59 »
Couldn't you replace the rubber blocks with pieces of expanding foam? (you can get some tough heavy duty stuff from builder merchants.. they use it for expansion gaps in large concrete slab jobs, or ask about builder pals).
That way when you sat on it, it'd compress, but then slow spring up again to hopefully prevent rattles. :shrug:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 18:51:04 »
I cut mine in half, seat still fastens and locks but it is loose! You don't notice that when you're sitting on it!
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.