Author Topic: Electrical issues with the fuel system after datatool removal  (Read 1990 times)

Offline wanderingmount

• Bike: DL650 K6
Hi everyone, bit of an essay, but want to give as much context as possible...hope someone can point me in right direction  :)

2 weeks ago I removed the datatool 3 from my DL650 K6 after it ate through it's 2nd battery in 3 years. Read around a few places and it was quite straightforward - appears my bike had a very similar setup to mdpdavies in this post:

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=31295.0

Except mine was missing the diagnostic connector - seems the installer just cut it off halfway down the side panel. So I had 4 full black wires and 1 black wire with double yellow dots. Testing with the multimeter and I did not find the fulltime live and switched live that mbpdavies mentioned. Eventually I did find the correct 2 wires to connect - though I did blow the fuel-pump fuse at some point during this testing.

After finding the 2 wires I tested starting the bike with them just clamped together - it worked, fired up first time without hestiation as it always with a new battery.

Later that day we went for a ride (about 35mins) when I stopped I hit the kill switch to stop the bike and the FI LCD message came on (not CHEC). Didn't really think much about it as we were running late.

When we got back to the bike turned on the ignition and no FI & the bike started without problems.
Halfway home the bike just stopped as I was coming up to a stop at traffic lights. At the time we thought it had run out of fuel because the fuel was down to the last bar (but not flashing yet so I was surprised). Managed to get 5L of petrol into it and after a bit of stuffing around with pressurising the fuel tank and push starting, the bike started and got us home.
At home kill switch > FI LCD message.

Next day ignition on > blinking red FI light and FI message. Dealer mode codes said C41, C44 & C49. Fun, fun.
Next day same thing - I then disconnected battery for rest of week.

Last weekend I took off the Fuel Pump Relay from behind the ECU & Battery. Tested it with Multimeter for continuety. Tested the switch by applying 12v as described in service manual. Tested under a bit of load with a 12v camping pump attached. All worked.

Tested the Fuel pump relay connections - attached multimeter to the switch and turned on ignition, 10-11v for a couple of seconds then zero (after the FI light comes on - expected in this case I imagine since only C41 showed on dash).

Then I plugged the relay back in, and turned on ignition. No FI light, bike starts first time. Take it for a 15 minute shakedown. No problems. Get home, hit kill switch -> FI light with C32, C33, C41 & C49.

Today turned on ignition, no FI light, starts first time. Riding for less than 5 minutes and it stalls mid acceleration. Turn key off and on before bike has finished rolling and bike starts. Rolling to a stop at my destination with clutch in and it stalls before I finish rolling > FI light on. (Total ride time less than 10 minutes).

Try to start it 45mins later, no FI light but only starts on 3rd attempt - and the exhaust smelt funny/different.
10 minute ride to my next stop and again the bike stalls as I am slowly rolling to a stop in the parking.
Getting home tonight bike starts, but again smells different. Kill switch > FI light.

So the question is what could I have done to my bike? I am concerned that when I blew the fuse while connecting the wires I damaged something sensitive.

Open to all ideas!

thanks

Offline greywolf

Re: Electrical issues with the fuel system after datatool removal
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 22:24:11 »
I sounds like you have an intermittent open circuit. Did you just twist the wires together? that isn't good enough. A proper electrician's crimp tool or soldering iron needs to be involved.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline wanderingmount

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 23:19:17 »

OK, interesting. I did solder them together but did have some overlap with the old solder. Didn't think it would matter (and there wasn't a lot of spare wire). Will remove all the heatshrink and take another look at that.

Apart from the intermittent stalling, do you have any idea why it would consistently show the FI error when I hit the kill switch?

thanks

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 00:20:22 »
Most or all of those errors are associated with systems that have their power turned off when the kill switch is off and are probably meant to be disconnected by the alarm. The stock wiring needs to be reconnected. Did you use rosin core solder and get a good flow across the connections? The wires need to be heated so the wires melt the solder when it is applied to the joint, not just melted by the iron.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline wanderingmount

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 22:41:39 »
Thanks Greywolf, to be honest not sure what kind of solder it was, but I think I might cut it off and try again with some proper rosin core. A job for this weekend if I get the time.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 23:33:06 »
Check out this video. The only real disagreement I have is the most likely cause of failure in a soldered joint is work hardening or vibration. The wire at the edge of the soldered joint is brittle and movement or vibration can cause the wire to break there. The wire should be supported so it can't move at the soldered joint.

Offline wanderingmount

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 17:51:43 »
Thank Greywolf, that was one of the videos I found. I also found out that it works much better with a 60W soldering iron than the 30W I had - I was just getting the rosin core solder beading on top with the 30W iron.

In my case the two wires are running in parallel to each other (because they used to be in the same connector). So interleaved the wires a little bit then twisted everything together, with the better soldering and use of heatshrink the joint should be good now.

Unfortunately that didn't solve the FI problem - bike now shows C41, C44 and C49 when turning on ignition. I rechecked the Fuel Relay and it's connector and both seem OK still. Next thing to check will the injectors themselves I think, a project for next weekend I hope.

cheers