Author Topic: Professional bike mechanics. Sigh  (Read 1494 times)

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
Professional bike mechanics. Sigh
« on: March 14, 2017, 06:30:23 »
New rear tyre req so I pop it down to my local (and trusted) bike shop. All good, I pay, and set off to look it over. Before I do I get distracted by another biker asking me about my Sat Nav mount. We chat and I get on the bike and ride it home. Locking the chain on the rear end I notice the brake caliper seems a little strange. The buggers had fitted it on top of the notch on the swing arm not IN it. One tap of the rear brake while rolling backwards would of ruined a ride and been very messy indeed. I won't name the bike shop because the response when I took the bike back to have it re done was really great and we all make mistakes, but it just proves a point. ALWAYS check any work done, because it's not them buggers that are riding it! 

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
Re: Professional bike mechanics. Sigh
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:58:53 »
A local motorcycle repair shop near me did something similar,  a young mechanic left a brake caliper loose on a bike . When the bloke took it back to the shop , the owner (who himself is a first class mechanic) ..SACKED...the lad there and then on the spot ...

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 15:39:43 »
Check someone elses and even your own.

Probably did that young lad the biggest favour of his life and everyone else. Perhaps didn't feel that way at the time.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Doug McLaren

• Bike: DL650 K6, 900 Monster, Guzzi Stelvio, Guzzi 175 Lodola.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 17:26:15 »
I did exactly the same thing on my bike after changing a rear tyre. It was like that for a couple of weeks during which time I did about 400 miles.

No ill effects and an easy mistake to make, but it certainly woke me up when I realised what I'd done.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 17:37:06 »
I made that exact mistake the first time I changed the rear tyre on a Wee. I figured it out because the caliper carrier started clicking on stops. The only ill effect would be from backing up the bike and using the rear brake to stop it. It could be the bike would need a new rear tyre before that happened.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 19:25:39 »
Ah Greywolf, that's why I am glad the lad never got sacked and I would of shown true indignation if that had happened. The owner was a perfect example of great customer relations afterwards and I have no hesitation in taking the bike back there. The effects might of been felt sooner in my case as I have to set off on a hill outside my house and I have been known to trickle back a bit using the rear brake to stop as I wait for cars to go past. All's well that ends well as I am now due half price on any job next time I take it in.....which as I do everything on the bugger myself will probably be for a new tyre again!

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 22:39:42 »
the owner (who himself is a first class mechanic) ..SACKED...the lad there and then on the spot ...
I bet that first class mechanic has never made a mistake in his entire life ..:shrug:.

Glad you got it sorted , most of the time it's how it's delt with , Being a motorcyle mechanic "sigh" I've made my fair share of mistakes and the best thing to do is own up and don't bullshit (which alot of people do) and sort it out amicably. After all we are not robots and everyone makes mistakes.
Sounds like a half price job on your next visit is exactly what I'd offer .  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂