Author Topic: Go pro  (Read 3545 times)

Offline finchman

Go pro
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:58:28 »
Hi all does anyone have any ideas for mounting a GoPro either on lid or on bike I have a scala rider on the lid already  (left hand side )and was wondering if anyone has mounted a go pro to their bike and any preferences. I have a D/L 650 btw. Many thanks .
Finchman :)

Offline Birbal

• Bike: DL650A L3
Re: Go pro
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 16:15:49 »
I have 2 mounts on the lid:
- 1) at the chin level, just under the visor --> make it easier to control, I don't want to record continuously and just be able to press the record button when need it and also got some of the dash board in the frame (personally I like it) . Example with this mount I posted few days ago in the video section (Box hill ride)
- 2) on top of the helmet --> is good if you want to get a shot of the surroundings and get rid of the dash board and front screen

For the bike there are so many possibilities. I recomend to buy one of these: 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141591997613?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  You can stick it on the handlebars, mirrors, crash bar, foot peg, rear bars, etc.

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 18:48:49 »
I have mounts on top and on side of lid, top mount gives the best perspective although both top and side will record what you look at, which is better than bike mounted as that only points forward.
I also operate my go pro via the remote accessory which I have strapped to the bars.

Offline finchman

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 14:04:39 »
thanks blokes I have put on on my AGV lid at the side and I am thinking of using the other mount on the bike itself because my frank thomas helmet has my scala rider on it  :lala:

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 20:15:14 »
I've the go pro copy, got one on the side of my helmet and I've made a bracket that fits onto the left mirror base. this is a link to one of my videos.
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 20:25:24 »
This footage is on a GoPro3, mounted on the right side of my Shoei Helmet  :thumb:

If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 21:19:09 »
As self-confessed a technophobe I'm curious.. what do you use these cameras for.?  :shrug: Do you really bother to look at the films later.?
I'm not being facetious, conversely I am considering buying one.
Do they allow you to take pics of 'scenic stuff' without having to stop and dig a camera/phone out you pocket.?
 I'm wondering if one might be useful for me in a few weeks when I go for a lap of Europe. Wifee and I could then bore our kids to death when we return with endless photos of 'dramatic' scenery etc.
Plus it'd save me having to stop when enjoying the roads.  :grin:

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 22:57:06 »
not quite more this SJ8000 WIFI 4K HD 1080P SJ4000 Helmet Sports DV Waterproof Camera +Extra Battery
I've hot wired it with a USB outlet, it has driver mode so it starts recording when the ignition is turned on and stops them you turn the bike off.
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline Birbal

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 04:54:44 »
King Orry, I think a camera on a rider is good for documenting his travels and adventures, just a memory to have and look at a few years later. When I can't ride (especially in winter when the weather is miserable) and have some time to kill, I usually look at the videos I made 4-5 years ago and lots of memories come back. Back then I made the mistake to record too much boring footage but now, after few years of some experience I record only a few short clips of the key points (maximum 1 min) and then make a compilation (stick together and put some music on the background so I won't hear the wind noise but not to cover the engine sound). Is also good to share your experience and places that you have been with other people. I often find myself deep in YouTube watching random people adventures and travels...makes me go out more and explore. 

At the moment I have some Chinese small camera fixed permanently, just under the headlights and is hard wired to the ignition. Every time I start the bike, the camera starts recording in a loop in 3 min segments until the memory card is full. Once is filled up (takes about 8 hours of recording) the oldest video is replaced by a new one. I use this for mostly for my own protection in eventually that something will happen and need to show it to the insurance or maybe became famous on YouTube  :lala: . Then I have my GoPro on the lid (only for important trips) where I "document" my travels. I just love keeping memories from all the places I have been, so mostly is for my own good. Hope this helps with your decision to have or not a video camera. I think these days are quite good and very easy to use.

Offline Birbal

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 04:59:57 »
user650, What happened with the person in front of you? Did he get distracted by the surroundings? Quite funny situation and good that he managed to recover.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 09:16:33 »
As self-confessed a technophobe I'm curious.. what do you use these cameras for.?  :shrug: Do you really bother to look at the films later.?..not stop when enjoying the roads.  :grin:

1. Spot a situation likely to cause trouble and you turn the camera on. Has been known to beat the other blokes in sewer ants (or your own) out of the 50/50.

2. Record decent views, get pictures of fellow riders etc. Without stopping.

3. Share routes with fellow riders.

For 2 and 3 the trick is savage and thorough editing. No one wants to watch "Up the M-1 to Leicester Forest East" when they could use the same time for a Lawrence of Arabia and Titanic (directors uncut) marathon. You can use Moviemaker which is free on windows to make a fair effort. Telling people what they are looking at helps. A recent effort here

This is 3 minutes out of a 6 hour ride and IMHO is enough for anyone.

Andy

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 09:39:49 »
Cheers folks.
Yes, I like the idea of capturing footage to prove 'who did what' should something go wrong, and also the ability to record stuff without pausing and missing the event yourself. (You see so many people hiding behind a phone screen at 'events', recording it for their mates, but all the while missing it themselves).
Finchman - Sounds like you should investigate sticking a your camera under the headlights, maybe that's why the new bikes have beaks.. they're just glorified camera mounts.!  :thumb:

Offline Delaque2k4

• Bike: Dl1000 2016
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 23:20:01 »
I have a Go-Pro LCD mounted on top of the dash behind the screen, on all the time along with a Go-Pro 4+ (Black Edition) mounted in the right side of my lid. Have also got a mount on top of rear light for if I leading a group around.

Offline Angustoyou

• Bike: 2013 Glee
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 19:50:43 »
Doesn't mounting on the right of the lid make switching on and off awkward on the move?  No problem with a remote I guess.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 20:05:27 »
+1 on savage editing. You wouldn't take every single still photo you clicked whilst on your hols round to show the family, would you? I used to sort mine into two piles, keepers and weepers. Bin the weepers ( keeping the negs :old: ) then whittle the keepers down again. Used to end up showing about 1 in 10. Will have to apply the same discipline to videography.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 07:46:49 »
I've recently bought a Drift Stealth 2 and can't mount it on the left with either of my lids due to Bluetooth headsets and Sun visor mechanism.
So mounted it on the right. Its easy enough to reach with my left hand. all I'll have to do Is cut the footage  of my hand covering the lens.
I'm going to get the handlebar mount to mount on the engine bars.

AND I need to remember how to use Adobe Premiere and figure out a newer version.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Daimo

• Bike: DL650X L6, Benelli Tornado, CBR600FX (Race)
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 21:11:48 »
Stuck a go-pro mount on the plastics above the dials/behind the screen.  Only niggle is when its chucking it down, it becomes pretty much useless (can cure that with rainX on the front screen and keeping it clean).

I use mine mainly for spotting muppet drivers in London if anything happens.  Otherwise I just use them for racing.

See plenty of folk using the pad/bent arms at the side of their lids, or just stuck on the top.

Offline Grandawoo

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 13:10:06 »
I have been mounting mine with an aluminium mount bolted through the bottom of the screen so it stands in front of the bike. I have found that it picks up on every bit of vibration and is really bad over bumpy potholed roads.
I did have it on the left side of the handlebar but that also give too many vibes to be enjoyable to watch.
So I am going back to a stick on mount on the right side of my helmet and I am considering a cheap chinese remote to switch on and off as needed.

I am not impressed with the battery life from the gopro batteries so have 2 spares in my pocket all the time.