Author Topic: problem with bike, any ideas?  (Read 970 times)

Offline irishal

• Bike: 2008 DL650 v strom
problem with bike, any ideas?
« on: March 10, 2017, 17:57:45 »
Hi fella's, have a little problem. when out to the bike on Monday an it wouldn't start, got a local car mechanic to take a look an he checked the solenoid thing an he said that was gone, so had to start it with touching a screw driver off it an it started, but went over to a bike when I got it started an he said it was the safety switch thing that's beside the clutch underneath so he crossed the wires which meant I didn't need to hold in the clutch to start the bike. since then I've been getting pops coming from the exhaust an the bike cuts out when I let off the clutch to slow down, now it only cuts out if I don't pull in the clutch an I'm down in say 3rd gear or so an it cuts out.

its buggin the sh*t outta me with it cutting out all the time. any ideas what it would be?

cheers lads

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
Re: problem with bike, any idea's?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 18:31:38 »
Your post is a bit confusing to say the least...

If you're talking about crossing the wires at the clutch lever; that wouldn't bypass the faulty solenoid it would merely mean you could short the solenoid without holding the lever in.

So you still have a starter problem, common fault reported on here many times is the starter switch on the right handlebar that burns out so I'd be checking that first.

Is the battery voltage good and charging well? As that could affect the engine popping with low voltage causing bad igniton or fuel pump shortage.

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 20:13:53 »
Bit confusing but it sounds like your clutch switch is knackered it's also not a good idea to ride around with the switch wires permantley jumpered to bypas the switch. This is probably causing your symptoms

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 20:35:55 »
The clutch lever switch is part of the emissions control system as well as a safety switch in 2007 and later 650s. The ECU uses the clutch lever position as one variable in setting the amount of fuel injected. The engine may not run right if it is bypassed so that is likely to be your problem. You need a working clutch lever switch. Earlier models would run alright with the clutch switch bypassed as it was only a safety switch.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline irishal

• Bike: 2008 DL650 v strom
Re: problem with bike, any ideas?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 22:01:46 »
sorry for the confusion fella's, its a 2008 model. I've been told the same thing as youse are saying that it is the switch that is the problem so ill have to get one ASAP.
cheers for the info (thumbs up)