Author Topic: 2nd thoughts on bullet proof  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
2nd thoughts on bullet proof
« on: February 04, 2017, 07:54:05 »
As most will know, the early model Wees where deemed to be “bullet proof” by reputation. Granted, each early model V-Strom had its unique minor teething problem, but not to the degree of the AL2 and onward… like stator recall, valve bucket recall, connector / wiring harness degrading, etc.
I was / maybe still am, in the market for a newer model V-Strom to add to my garage. The DL650AL2 which I was considering, till a couple of days ago, has since been sold.  I wasn’t able to track down the necessary proof / paperwork that any of the recalls were done on the bike. Vin number on the website did not help any either.
Do you honestly think that the newer models still deserve to retain their "bullet proof" rating and if so why do you think so? Then again, one could ask: define the term "bullet proof"...

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: 2nd thoughts on bullet proof
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:43 »
2004 DL650 - Battery died after 11 years and ..... erm .... that's it.

To be fair the Tax Disc only ever lasted a year at a time too.

Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 09:06:50 »
 my first v strom was a 2014  model that did 10,600mls not a single thing went wrong with it ..second v strom was a 2015 model 8,800mls hard touring miles fully loaded again not a thing went wrong ...I don't think "anything" is bullet proof and there has always been recalls on bikes going back for years , but at least Suzuki do recalls if it finds a problem [ even if it takes them a while to get round to it .."stator".. ] rather than just say there is not a problem with our motorcycles like BMW ...but I will agree everything is now made down to a price and it shows on some of the plastics & fittings ...

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL800RE M4
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 10:44:11 »
Hi

61k miles, and only the stator problem, which is much better than many other machines I have bought over the years.
Staying with the AL2, for at least another year or two.

Crazyhorse

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 13:50:47 »
I'm not worried about recalls as such, though if I'd have had problems with the stator going before the recall was issued and paid for a replacement I would rightly be annoyed.

In terms of the wiring loom,  that would definitely put me off but many on here haven't had any issues (yet?) and you can take preventative measures - although you shouldn't have to.

For recall, if it's not listed as outstanding on the website then it's likely to have been done. The owner/Suzuki can confirm. I wasn't given anything to say my stator was done...

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 14:58:51 »
You have to remember when people say bullet proof they are normally talking about the engine of the bike I had a SV650 with 45000 miles no problems at all and still going strong now with new owner at 75000 miles.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 20:07:01 »
Gert : A recall shows Suzuki is owning up to and a fixing a problem.
I don't remember forum members here reporting problems with their stator  or having defective valve buckets or whatever it was. Not saying there never have been problems but not so significant that I noticed.

My Honda VTR  had a really good motor. Good, that is, except for the cam chain adjusters which had a habit of failing and wreaking the valves in the front cylinder head and sometimes the piston.  No recall on that one. Most canny owners removed the Honda automatic adjuster and fit a manual ( basically a long bolt)  that some have made and offered for sale. I think their early V fours also suffered the same problems. Yet everyone thinks Honda only make "bullet proof" engines.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 20:20:27 »
I have too low mileage to usefully add to 'from experience' but recalls = potential problems areaddressed and rectified so a non issue.
Whichever leaves the exposed wiring connectors. A blatant fcuck up by Suzuki, free & simple prevention of issues IF you know about it and IF you do something about it.
Tread year round commuted bikes with unprotected connectors with suspicion!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 20:31:05 »
The VTR shared the engine with the later Varaderos... Honda didn't update the cam chain tensioners then either. And the late 70's CX500 also had the issues.
"Knock, knock..."
Who's there?
"Cam chain tensioner"

Then the 80's and 90's it was compulsory for Honda owners to carry a spare rectifier for 'when' it went wonky.

Suzuki are getting some flack from owners over the current spate of recalls, but have you looked at the list of issues on ABR for the new Africa Twin?

Issues with mass produced equipment will always create negative publicity when you're dealing with a product that sold in high volume like the DL650.

At the end of the day Suzuki are addressing the issues.
OK it's going to take time due to the amount of bikes that may be affected and the capacity of dealers workshops.

Suzuki make far better quality bikes than some of the other manufacturers out there and aren't washing their hands of what could be a massive issue.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 20:40:08 »

The VTR shared the engine with the later Varaderos... Honda didn't update the cam chain tensioners then either.

Are you sure. I'm pretty sure either the tensioner and/or the block were modified to help get a little oil feed to the front cct on the later Varas.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 21:32:06 »
Yeah for the 2007 and later ones but not for the 9 years previous.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 10:11:41 »
Thanks for your replies and words of wisdom. Guess then, I'm still in the market for a Glee, at the right price of course.
When I think back of the bikes that I previously owned over the years, which I considered to be bullet proof: the Honda CB500F (1971), Kwaka KL250 (1976), Yami XT500 (1981), Honda VLX600 (1997) and now the Suzzi DL650 (K5 & K6) that I still own.
Then there a few that I owned, that were more trouble than what they were worth. I won't list them, as there may be some owners who may have fond memeories of these bikes. Granted, there were many bikes that I did not own, that were also deemed bullet proof.
That's the beauty of this forum, the feedback from the various owners, their personal experience and advice, help members (who heed the advice) avoid future pitfalls. :thumb:

Offline mallywoods

• Bike: 2014 Suzuki 650 DL
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 17:02:17 »
That all made good reading, in love with my 650 again now, was thinking of a change, didn't realise they where good for so many trouble free miles.