Author Topic: Storing bike during winter  (Read 2842 times)

Offline pr

• Bike: DL650A K7
Storing bike during winter
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:33:58 »
Hi all

Not sure when gritting will start, but as I don't like to ride my bike when salt is on the road, I won't use it as much over winter. Basically when gritting starts, I will stop riding it until salt is gone in spring. I composed a checklist before storing it because it's kept outside under a cover and was wondering if I missed something or you have any good advice  :old:

• Tank is completely full with fuel stabiliser
  • Got myself an Oxford solariser to trickle charge the battery. I just started it and it fires straight up, so the battery is fine at the moment.
  • It's on the centre stand and I will rotate the front wheel every now and then
  • Oil has been changed
  • I will start the engine every 1 or 2 weeks and let it idle for at least 30 mins until engine is at normal temperature (3 bars and no more water vapour from exhaust). This should prevent gumming up in the tank, because fuel is circulated when fuel pump is running, right?
  • I will keep fuel topped up after idling

Only thing I wasn't sure about because I read different opinions, is only idling the engine every now and then until warm very bad for the engine or the battery? Riding is of course best, but not sure what idling does to a battery or fuel.

Thanks,
-Paul

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
Re: Storing bike during winter
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 10:40:08 »
Quite a comprehensive list for a few month lay up but don't start it until you are ready to put it on the road.

Offline pr

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 10:43:20 »
Why not start it? I thought it was good to get water/condensation out of the system. Especially ponding water in the exhaust can start rusting from the inside, or not?

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:50:25 »
I have tucked mine away but in the garage.

I don't use fuel stabiliser, never have and never had any issue, I think it's just snake oil. It might be of some value in countries with poor fuel or high ethanol content but in the UK it's not an issue.
I just make sure the tank is full to reduce any possible air gap and then cover it with blankets to minimise temperature variation.

Keep the battery charged but don't be tempted to start the engine, prolonged idling isn't good for the engine even if you rev it a little. It may encourage condensation in the engine as it needs a good run to effectively clear this.

I use to worry about parts of the engine drying out as the oil settles but it doesn't seem to happen. I've opened engines that have sat for a while and they are still very well coated in oil everywhere.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 10:54:47 »
Why not start it? I thought it was good to get water/condensation out of the system. Especially ponding water in the exhaust can start rusting from the inside, or not?

Some people block off the exhaust but I don't.

The burning of fuel is the cause of the condensation in the engine, petrol has a water content and some of this gets blown past the rings into the engine (most goes out of the exhaust pipe). It takes a fair amount of heat & running combined with an efficient breather system to remove this moisture.
Just idling will be adding more fresh moisture than it is removing so you'll end up with more cream cheese forming in your engine, usually in places you can't see it either.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 11:04:18 »
It will serve no good whatsoever starting the engine & let it idle but starting it will have a long time running inefficiency toget it up to temp & introduce mointure to the oil.
Sheet the bike with a breathable cover or bike shed etc if possible or at least bung the exhaust to keep water out.
Lather everything (ish) with acf50 or wd40.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 11:21:05 »
Watch the solar charger. If it has electronic over-charge protection then fine. A pal of mine had one (admittedly for a caravan) cook his battery on a Quad
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline pr

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 21:10:12 »
Great stuff, cheers for the tips!
I'll plug the exhaust then, maybe I'll put some drybags on a piece of string in there to keep it dry.
I'll check the charger too, it's the Oxford one. Wasn't the cheapest, so hopefully has some protection.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 23:53:43 »
Instead of rotating the front wheel, just block up (or old car scissor jack) under the bash plate to lift the front wheel off the ground.

Offline pr

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 16:06:03 »
Just an update. So the bike is stored now in the garden. A WD40 cap just fits over the exhaust, with a acf50 soaked piece of rag in between.

Then I bought a new breathable cover, Oxford protex, but that doesn't breathe very well! I lifted it up one day to find the bike absolutely soaked of condensation  :shock:

So I bought a tubular heater and placed it underneath. The cover almost reaches the ground, so heat is kind of retained and it warms it up only 1 or 2 degrees, but it's just enough to keep everything nice and dry above the dew point. It works a treat! So if you don't have a garage and you're looking for an inexpensive dry place, get yourself a 25 pound tubular heater  :thumb:

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 21:13:36 »
What power rating is that heater?
I'm thinking of getting one for my garage to keep the condensation at bay.

Offline pr

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 21:16:11 »
This one is 180W (3ft). They come in several sizes at 60W/ft. It's also IP44 splash proof, so safe enough outside underneath the cover. I got mine at Toolstation.