Author Topic: l4 clutch pushrod  (Read 1042 times)

Offline KGEVEEK

• Bike: 1000 desert
l4 clutch pushrod
« on: December 28, 2016, 13:11:06 »
Hi blokes,  changed the front sprocket down to a 16 tooth, all went very smoothly, easier than expected, thought it was going too good, problem seems to be the clutch pushrod, won't go in far enough to tighten cap heads, if I do it up as tight as I can, and try to pull the lever in its solid.
started bike up without pushrod in and oil comes out of said hole.
Anyone got any advice please Cheers

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: l4 clutch pushrod
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 16:47:08 »
I've gone to 16T sprocket with no problems at all. Did you do it yourself?
There are several things to have in mind while doing it. But they don't matter now as it's been done already. At this point, it seems to me that piston went out of the cylinder while the work has been done. If it went out completely, you lost some oil and air got into the system. If not, you have to squeeze the cylinder between your hands so the piston goes in completely and just then reassemble everything. Still, when I've done mine it didn't go in completely, still needed few millimeters. So, I've tighten the bolts one by one, each one just a bit at the time so the cover would go on evenly.
Since then, I've removed the cylinder twice already to clean up the area around the front sprocket and both times all went well.
As soon as I remove the cylinder, I squeeze it in and put one ziptie around it so the piston wouldn't work its way out. Still, after removing the ziptie I squeeze it in again before bolting it back on.
I think you need to remove everything and start from scratch. As you said you've lost some oil, after the work's done, bleed your clutch system.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline KGEVEEK

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 19:32:12 »
thanks for the reply bosjno, finally got it sorted, turns out clutch piston was out too far, removed it completely, cleaned and refitted.
all back together again, will have to buy some dot4 fluid and bleed, hopefully get some tomorrow, will post again when job completed, usually do most jobs myself, anything to save paying£40 an hour!

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 20:40:52 »
Great !!!!
So, it was simple at the end. Just don't ride it before you bleed the system. Maybe it's good opportunity to change all the fluid. I replaced all of my DOT4 fluids 2 months ago. Took me less then one hour.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline KGEVEEK

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 13:43:18 »
Just to finish off, got some dot 4 this morning, had to undo the banjo bolt to get it started, finished with bleed nipple, clutch now perfect.
Plenty left so will do brakes as well, saves wasting remainder.  :ty: