Author Topic: Mirrors not at the same angle.... caused by clutch lever wear...  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Rich:-)

Since I got this bike I couldn't help but think the perches weren't at the same angle because the mirror arms weren't aligned - clutch side appears more upright.
I couldn't understand why this was though as both levers were level.

I have just changed the mirrors for some sleeker looking ones, ones that give less wind blast. These are the Aprilia rip off's (on fleabay) specials, and they are very nice looking, and seem to help.

However, whilst changing the mirrors it drew my attention to the angle issue again.. and I think I've found it.

The brake lever has very little wear and thus very little up & down play.
The clutch lever has more wear (as you'd expect) and more play, so has been adjusted to sit at the same level as the brake lever, to allow for the fact it's now hanging lower (it has more up & down play).
The nett result of this is that the mirror is now more upright on the LHS side. :angry-banghead:

I now plan to take the clutch lever out and see about making up a shim to take up the slack.
Should be a simple enough task and then I can re-adjust the perch so that the mirror arms are both at the same angle.
Should also help to balance the airflow around the screen too.

Just thought I'd mention it as I'm sure my bike is not the only one suffering from this.
I think having handguards highlights the lever sag more and encourages you to adjust the perch to take up this slack, thus moving the mirror out of alignment.

:icon_wink:

Offline bigsimmo

• Bike: DL1000 K8 in blue / glee in red
buy a new clutch lever, job done.........
DL1000 K8 in blue / DL650 glee in red

Nah, I have to engineer a solution. It's disorder I have.. :fix: :grin:

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
I've had similar wear on my dirt bike levers / perches, I just use a plastic washer (ones from sportsbike screen bolts are a good fit) to remove the play.

Online duck-strom

• Bike: DL650XT
I noticed this too but on my new 650 XT I don't see how wear can be a factor - I put it down to differing angles between left and right hand levers & mirror mounts due to either a cock up in design or Suzuki rummaging about in the parts bin for different bikes. I reckoned the distance from the bar-end to the mirror mounts differs by about 10mm too. Ended up with the set up in attached pic still not perfect but as close as I could get.
Yamaha FS1E >Yamaha DT125> Yamaha DT175 > CB400N > Yamaha XJ650 > SV650s > Aprilia SL1000R >> DL 650XT

Ah, so I'm not going mad, they are unequal from new!
I did notice that the clutch side is centred wrt the bar whereas the brake side is offset towards the rider, for no apparent reason...

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
Does it matter if you can still see traffic behind?

Well yes, kind off.

1, You use many sensors cues to tell you that you are straight & level, having mirrors that are not equal may lead you to believe your bar are not straight. This may be an annoyance to some and completely unnoticed by others.

2, Having two great big paddles stuck in the air (standard mirrors) has a definite effect on the air passing around your screen. If one is at a substantially different angle it will be affected differently. For me this was more air blasting into my lid from my left side. I have now changed the mirrors to smaller ones and sure enough it has reduced this effect.

Other than that I can't see it mattering..., if it doesn't bother you.

Online duck-strom

• Bike: DL650XT
Quote removed

My reason to move things around was to reduce buffeting and wind noise the standard mirrors are brill as mirrors but too 'noisy'.

Suzuki must have used a deaf midget to test the aerodynamics  :roll:
Yamaha FS1E >Yamaha DT125> Yamaha DT175 > CB400N > Yamaha XJ650 > SV650s > Aprilia SL1000R >> DL 650XT

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
I have deliberately offset my mirrors (Aprilia type) & extenders to reduce the buffeting! They are only 1/2" or so different but I feel that because the air flow is not equal it helps. Might just be me???  :shrug:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.