Author Topic: Surging issues  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Dave80

• Bike: DL650AL1
Surging issues
« on: November 22, 2016, 20:28:57 »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone on here is experiencing the same problems as me. A search of the forum didn't reveal any results, but then I only had a quick look.

I have a DL650AL1 which on a steady throttle hunts and surges really badly at low to medium rpm once the engine is up to temperature (when cold it seems fine). At higher revs it is OK. The following items have been checked or replaced: plugs, valve clearances, throttle bodies (expensive!), fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel flow from tank. It has been in to an excellent independent workshop (anyone in Kent/SE England should look up Tagg Racing), and is now at a Suzuki main dealer. They rang me today to say they can't find anything wrong. They say they took it out for a couple of test rides and that it seems fine anyway. It absolutely is not fine, it is awful round town. I refuse to believe that they did not notice a problem during the test ride. Two different mechanics took it out and I had made a point of telling them that the engine had to be up to temperature for the problem to become apparent. They said that if it has a problem then it's due to age and mileage. It's a 5 year old bike which has covered 20k miles. Suzuki's build quality must really have gone downhill recently then. Basically they couldn't find what's wrong and can't be bothered with the job. They even suggested that I need a newer bike!

I have seen on other forums that other V Stroms have had similar problems, which have been largely solved by putting the bike into dealer mode and adjusting the TPS. This is something I can do myself by the look of it. What do people on here think?

Any input would be gratefully received. I am a self-employed instructor, so riding isn't just a hobby for me. I need my bike.

Thank you,
Dave.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Surging issues
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 21:56:04 »
Hi Dave and  :welcome:

I had similar issues a few years back and it supposedly turned out to be the sparkplugs. Dealer claimed there was an error in the service manual that listed the incorrect plug number. Anyway, only after my nagging them for ages and them looking at it several times did it get sorted.

There's a plug taped up towards the tail light on the clutch side that you need for dealer mode,  info here http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html

Am sure someone (e.g. Greywolf) will be able to tell you how to adjust the TPS.

Good luck

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 22:17:26 »
Lambda sensor playing up?
Light load, constant throttle, the bike will be running in closed loop. Try disconnecting the Lambda connector
 & see if it still does it (you will get the fi light flashing up as you have created a fault by disconnecting it) but you won't do any harm, it's free & worth a try.

I'm interested as to why you say the first dealer was excellent if they couldn't fix the bike

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:02:11 »
TPS adjustment is at http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6753.0.html
You'll want the dash from -C00 to rise at around 2500rpm on a 650. I'm not so sure that's what is causing your problem though.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s