Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Alison556

• Bike: None just now
Advice please
« on: November 11, 2016, 19:26:19 »
I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

After many years, I'm getting back on the road. I'm looking at a 650 V-Strom and wanted some advice please.

I've not test ridden one, but got a seat on a lowered 2012 model and it seems light enough and not too tall (I'm 5 feet 4 and three quarters with 30 inch inside leg)

I've seen a 2009 model advertised with 59,000 miles on the clock and MOTd till 08/17.  Only problem is that it's 5 hours away from me so before I make the journey, I wanted to as some questions.

First question is - the older models were ever so slightly lower?  Would the seat have been any wider on them?  Seat width will have a huge impact on whether I can reach the ground or not  :smirk:  I know I can get it lowered as well - how much impact would that have on handling?

Is the mileage anything to worry about?  Do they develop any problems with high mileage?  It doesn't bother me if it's been well maintained.

Does £1895 sound like a fair price for that year?

Anything else anyone can think of I need to know would be hugely appreciated.

Alison

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 19:31:19 »
I cannot answer your seat height/width questions as I haven't ridden the 2012 model.

On the mileage though, there has been one on here at 110K and a couple of others just shy of 100K. I wouldn't worry too much if it is well maintained.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 19:35:10 »
If it's been serviced and in good condition I wouldn't worry too much about the miles, more the condition.

I sold my 2005 last year with just under 50k on it for £1100 iirc, if that helps you judge the price. Check eBay for sold listings of the same year to get an idea of price.

Is there not one for sale closer? Might be worth posting where it is, maybe someone local will take a look and help you judge if it's worth the trip? Take a second pair of eyes with you.

I've got the newer model now and it was noticeably taller, but now I'm used to it it's fine.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Advise please
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 22:31:19 »
I think I read the new one has a narrower seat to make it easier to reach the floor.

Offline Alison556

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 22:34:25 »
Thanks.  It's in Blackpool the one I saw. 

I had read a comparison between the Honda CB500X and the V-Strom and it fell very much in the Strom's favour.  I've never had a Suzuki before but quite liking the look

Offline Alison556

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 22:45:46 »

I sold my 2005 last year with just under 50k on it for £1100 iirc, if that helps you judge the price. Check eBay for sold listings of the same year to get an idea of price.

Is there not one for sale closer? Might be worth posting where it is, maybe someone local will take a look and help you judge if it's worth the trip? Take a second pair of eyes with you.

Thank  you.  It seems like a good price - I've seen older for more money.

I'm up in Scotland and bikes are all a lot more expensive up here - less people = less bikes I guess.

Offline listermint

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 10:44:11 »
Careful with Rust being so close to the ocean reeks havoc with vehicles.