Author Topic: Givi Crash Bars after 2nd fall  (Read 1570 times)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Givi Crash Bars after 2nd fall
« on: September 13, 2016, 20:24:28 »
I dropped the bike for the second time since I own it. First time it was year and a half ago, while climbing up to the sidewalk. Dropped it to the left side.
Yesterday, one lady passed red light and came up from my right side. I had to apply brakes to the max, bike stopped, and I dropped it, again, to the left.
Now, no damage on the bars, as I moved the "Givi" plastic to the place where I calculated the bars would touch the ground, if dropped. Just the scratches on the plastic and light scratches on the hand guard. Clutch lever didn't snap on its ball point.
So, after two drops, I have serious doubts about Givi Bars. Both times, the bracket that connects bars where the radiator bracket is bolted in, got bent badly, so the left bar got closer to the bike's body. To put the bracket back to its original shape was huge job, me and my friend, a lot of tools, brute force, long tubes, hamers, wrenches... After one hour, the bracket was back to its original shape.
On the first drop, it was just a bracket. Now, on the second drop, the bracket was out of its shape again but this time the top bracket of the radiator was bent too as it bolts into the same hole with Givi bracket. We didn't touch the radiator bracket but it took some time to align everything and put the bolt in.
I love Givi products but this thing seriously made me doubt them. For example, Heed bars connect to each other on the top and on the bottom. Givi bars connect to each other only on the bottom.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Givi Crash Bars after 2nd fall
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 20:56:00 »
Sorry to hear of your drop and glad you're OK. Could the bars have been weakened from the previous drop? I suppose after two drops it could be worth investing in Heed bars anyway?  :shrug:

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: Givi Crash Bars after 2nd fall
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 23:00:17 »
I'm going to own this one for one more year and then trade it for 2017 DL1000. At that time I will seriously consider Heed bars.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)