Author Topic: DL1000 oil leak  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Ice man mikey

• Bike: DL1000 L4
DL1000 oil leak
« on: August 10, 2016, 22:16:49 »
Hi all, new to the vee and introduced myself recently having collected my 2014 DL1000 from a Honda main dealer. Happy as Larry with the bike having done 1k miles in the first weekend alone on a trip to the lovely Scotland.
On a couple of occasions I've noticed a  small drip of fairly dark thinning oil that seems to drip off the generator cover plate on the left side, it seems worse when the engine has done say a 3 mile trip rather than a longer ride, I had a close look yesterday and it appears that it may be something higher up and further behind that is leaking and then when on the side stand it appears on the gen cover. I have  a warranty, the shop said to bring it in to assess but when I told them previously they said could be surplus from chain lube etc. Pretty sure its not that as cleaned chain myself since and very little lube used after cleaning it. Has any one else had a similar problem? would love to hear from you as I don't want to get fobbed off by the dealer.
Thanks for reading

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: DL1000 oil leak
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 22:31:16 »
Any chance of a picture of it? My thoughts are excess chain lube, but diagnosis without pics is a tough call.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Ice man mikey

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: DL1000 oil leak
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:02:23 »
Hi Paul
Will see what I can do re pics
Thanks
Mike