Author Topic: DL1000 Connectors above/behind radiator  (Read 11097 times)

Offline Laava

Re: DL1000 Connectors above/behind radiator
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 02:11:31 »
Todays project bought to you by the letter "E"
Great work fella BTW! :clap:

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 07:34:57 »
I'm wondering if pipe insulation would make an easy rain block. Something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-Pipe-Lag ... 3f2ff00957

Offline bigmadstu

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 07:53:28 »
Not a lot of space under there but should do the trick with a bit of cutting down. Seems crazy to me why Suzuki didn't waterproof the connectors or have them somewhere else or seal off this area.

I'll add some dimensions to the photos later.

Offline Simmo24

• Bike: 2020 KTM 790 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 11:21:19 »
Great work there Stu. I'm going to have a go at mine now. Thanks for that.  :)  :)
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
Always try just one more time. -Thomas Edison

Offline kirky1298

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 11:06:10 »
How do you get to the plug to check it out and spray it up ?
If you're not living on the edge you're just taking up space

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 15:37:53 »
Having read about this problem and being an electrician I had to investigate. Any connector exposed to the elements will fail . What's bad here is the connectors on the right are not waterproof and are directly in front of the air intake. The large white connector on the left is the ignition loom and this one is not waterproof. So I got an old bike innertube and sleeved the ones that are not sealed.

Tie wrapped only the front side in view of the elements, also rubber sleeve will stop chaffing!

Finally the fuel tank sits on a loom and is wearing insulation on the loom. This will fail before long so..

You can see white paint flakes from the tank on the rubber!

Offline Simmo24

• Bike: 2020 KTM 790 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 21:36:12 »
Had a look at a new DL1000 in the dealers today and the exposed connectors are nowhere to be seen. Had the service tech with me and he checked too. Suzuki have obviously moved them on newer models. Had the technician check for me and there aren't any recalls, so Suzuki seem to realise there is a problem, but not going to do anything about helping the rest of us who are going to potentially be breaking down as soon as it rains.  :angry-cussing:
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
Always try just one more time. -Thomas Edison

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 23:46:03 »
I've just seen this thread and it's interesting to see the loom layout is very similar to the glee.
I noticed how exposed the connectors are to the elements and a potential recipe for future problems.
While my own bike is virtually brand new, prevention is much better than tracking down temperamental problems in years to come :)

Best shot I can get (on the glee)

It's odd how the bike has ample room away for the elements under the clocks but chose to put them there probably to save a couple of foot of wire.

Some foam rubber workshop mat cut to size & wedged in above the radiator after dowsing the connectors in wd40 then sprsy grease;

Phil

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 20:40:06 »
Thought about a new thread, but still very topical ?

Was this issue addressed at recall ? I understand the rubbing  on the loom was from the tank , but not the connectors behind the rad.

I ask now as I am going on a long tour in September and just want to be sure !  I have tried to look up from behind the front wheel and I could not visually see the connectors behind the rad.

From my reading this was not one of the recall issues ?   Am I correct.  Might get tank off and have it looked at before I depart. Many thanks
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 22:05:19 »
Get the tank off and sort the conectors out mate, it's peace of mind then. :thumb:

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 13:15:26 »
Had mine done now before my trip to Spain and Portugal next month !  :lala:  Peace of mind.

Used a local independent mechanic who I have dealt with for ages, especially moving tank and things like that. I sent him a link to this thread and the extremely informative images placed here.

My connections were 'bare' and 'open' as such but he has coated them inside and out with a waterproof vaseline, I am informed same stuff as Triumph use on their connectors. He states will never need touching again !  sadly I am a dry weather Biker (at my age !) but  I still  manage to do serious miles in season.
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline The Menace

• Bike: 2014 Vstrom 650
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 18:38:21 »
After reading about all the horror stories on the forum regarding the electrical connectors, I decided to weatherproof the connectors on my Glee using, ACF50, bicycle inner tubes and cable ties. It was a big pain trying to remove the front air box clamp, I ended up buying a 3mm ball end Allen extension to undo and tighten the bolt. I also purchased a wiring harness and relays for the headlights from EasternBeaver, Bigpie on the forum also does them, he just didn't have one available at the time.

Offline 2WheelDrifter

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 21:22:28 »
I thought these connectors were included in the recall notice as outlined at http://www.morebikes.co.uk/Suzuki-recalling-v-stroms-for-three-separate-electrical-issues/

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 22:40:47 »
After reading this thread this just confirms Suzuki need to do something with their looms.  It's not just vstroms , Suzuki use these type of connectors in pretty much all of their range . I see this issue Lots in Suzuki’s and if one comes in the shop with electrical issues I head straight for the loom plugs that connect both switch gears. 
With that and their stator issues Suzuki need to up their game with their electrics.  It's all down to cost cutting ... shamefull.. !!
Chief trouble maker 🙂