Author Topic: Service/MOT Issue  (Read 1096 times)

Offline bluepoolshark

• Bike: DL650GT K8
Service/MOT Issue
« on: August 23, 2016, 17:07:17 »
So my 08 wee went in for it's 12500 big service today and had the MOT done at the same time. Just took a call off the dealer to say that on the final test the ABS light was on, and after checking the rear ABS had been damaged and it is going to cost me another £120 which is the cost price with no labour charges due to the inconvenience.

After returning back to the shop they noticed that the sensor wasn't properly seated which would have been done if the wheels had recently been removed which they had by another place when my tyres were replaced. When they stamped hard on the brakes for the MOT test it obviously broke the sensor. My question is should this have been picked up by the mechanic doing the service and therefore the dealer should take the full costs or is it the fault of the people who fitted the tyres?

Hopefully this makes sense but I'm a bit annoyed that I have another £120 to lay out after the already massive charges for this service......

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
Re: Service/MOT Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 17:21:05 »
A difficult one I this. How long ago did the other place change the tyre? I think the tyre fitting people are at fault, but getting them to admit it may be difficult. I would go and visit them in person, don't phone, and explain that the last time the sensor was disturbed was by them and see what they say. Nothing to lose.

Offline bluepoolshark

• Bike: DL650GT K8
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 17:23:38 »
I was along the same lines as you, and I think I will pop into the tyre place tomorrow but I took a check on the service checklist for the dealer and it shows visual brake inspection and wheel alignment, and caliper/pad service as part of the service, so surely it should have been picked up as the service was before the MOT?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 18:08:22 »
If the people that fitted you're tyres damaged the abs sensor I would suggest the abs light would have been on after you left the tyre garage .
I don't see how the abs sensor can come "unseated" as it's held in by two Alan bolts (I think) in cast alloy plus there is no way the sensor can be damaged when you stamp on the brakes .
What's part is the £120 for ? As I don't see why a dealer would replace at "cost" if it wasn't there fault. Something fishy with the dealer in my opinion. 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 18:18:53 »
Agree sounds as though you are being fleeced. You mention a large bill what have they stated they have undertaken for such?