Author Topic: Bike Intercom  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Bike Intercom
« on: July 08, 2016, 21:18:41 »
If anyone can help can you give me your opinion on a SIMPLE rider to pillion Bluetooth system. No smartphone/GPS complication.

I've Viewed:

U ClearHB100+
NXET
BT
Cardo Q1
Sena

Important features, simple to operate, adequate audibility and good value for money. Cheapest is £24.99 from BT.......  :shrug:

Any help appreciated.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline irishal

• Bike: 2008 DL650 v strom
Re: Bike Intercom
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 00:02:29 »
I've the BT intercom, bought from the UK on ebay. yes its cheap but it does what it says on the tin, only thing I don't like about it is the radio, the reception is kind of shite by times. but if you got a phone with all your music on it who needs the radio :D
its easy to use too,plus up to 800-1000m. as far as the sena an all, you only paying for the brand name when others like the BT does the exact same thing so I chose not to be too picky on what I got. I'm happy enough with it.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:12:57 »
My cheap eBay one has lasted 7 months of almost daily use. Now the right hand speaker works intermittently. Not bad for the money really. Might replace it with another. 

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:11:48 »
I use Scala G9 which was great at the time but bloody expensive, all the cheaper brands appear to have caught up. Sena units are good in they can connect to other brands of headset

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 14:30:45 »
I have the cardo q1 and love it, its definitely the best I've had and really simple to use (it must be if I can)

Offline Fernando

• Bike: DL650 2011 ABS
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:18:57 »
Hi blokes, hi Joe Rocket

just logged in to ask about this topic and saw this thread.

My situation is: 2 years ago I wanted an intercom (couple) and just did not have much money at the time so I bought the cheapest ones I found. Those BT intercom, £60 the couple. The thing is they worked quite well. If connected to the phone (phone calls, GPS, music) it works even at 70mph. The sounds from intercom to intercom is not so good at 70mph, but it works reasonably well at 60mph and slower. Totally waterproof and never a problem connecting to phones.

Last week, 1 unit stopped working. I want to replace it. My question is, does it really worth going from a "proper" brand? $$$. Some options suggested here:
Scala G9x £269 for the couple
Cardo Q1, £160 for the couple
BT, £60 pounds the couple. £30 pounds if just replace the broken one

Anyone with real experience using both BT AND one of the expensive ones that can give some input? I know some of expensive ones have more connectivity options or voice activated commands and stuff I am not going to use. For me the key is sound clarity.

kissofdeath, you said cardo q1 is the best you've had, which other did you have?
Thanks,
Fernando.
------------------

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 19:39:26 »
Rid of the lid and shout over your shoulder

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 19:55:26 »
Make of this what you will......
http://www.backchat-intercoms.com/

Offline Parademic

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 19:01:11 »
Interesting one there Rusty. Not seen anything like that before.

I'll probably stick with my Sena though. ;-)

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 19:06:16 »
"Bridge to engine room" No, thanks. And forgetting to disconnect before dismounting? Whoops!

Offline Sam

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 20:22:01 »
Make of this what you will......
http://www.backchat-intercoms.com/

This is rather old technology, things have moved on a bit from here. I had one back in the 90's (still got it somewhere in a box in the garage). It actually works quite well & has the bonus of no batteries to charge or run out. But you're tied together with pipes & have to connect/dis-connect it every time you get on or off the bike. Also its only for rider-to-pillion & no good for rider-to-rider. Nowadays bluetooth is soooo much easier. Don't think I could ever go back to using the 'back-chat'.

I've used the BT type intercoms for about 8 years. The first ones had a single earpiece & were OK. Bought some new ones a couple of years ago & they have 2 earpieces. Much better, the intercom is clearer & easier to hear. Also listening to music is not really very good through 1 ear whereas with 2 it is fine. Only paid £25/£30 for each of them. I'd buy them again.