Author Topic: When time comes want quicker turning front tyre profile  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Jacksnipe

As above love the big V for its handling but on original tyres find slightly slow on turn in (Aware wheel size affects same) so intend to replace with road tyres perhaps Pilot 4's or similar, anybody got quicker turn in on fitting some new tyres ?

JS

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: When time comes want quicker turning front tyre profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 21:19:13 »
Hi,
A standard road tyre would help a little but to get faster turning you need to shorten the wheelbase but doing so affects top speed stability. You could try raising your forks or lowering your yokes (which ever way you want to look at it) by around 10mm but First you must check that you have enough fork travel so you don't bottom out the forks under heavy braking.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 21:47:37 »
In my opinion the pilot 4's gave slightly easier tip in, the bike feels less heavy.

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:38:19 »
Cheers all, I have a sorted chassis on this bike care of Nitron rear and Hyperpro fork springs, so understand the possibility of altering the bias but will leave it as is. Intend to go for road tyres next and sounds a good choice for the PR4's already have them on two of my bikes so good to hear they work well on the V.

Cheers,

JS

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:20:00 »
When I swapped the OEM front tyre to PR4 the change was huge for me to the point that on the first roundabout after leaving the dealer I oversteered and almost felt down. All future tyre changes for me were to PR4's, front and back. Front is always "Trail" version as there is no non-trail for the front but the rear one is non-trail as both options are avaliable.
Ah, and they have impressive grip on wet surface.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 17:23:52 »
I had the same experience with fast tip in, took me a couple of miles to get used to how flickable the bike was, the wet weather grip will astound you when you get used to them.

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 11:17:08 »
Learnt yesterday Dunlop Roadsmart 3's are available in the Big V's sizes. I had the 2's version on the 650 and found they worked really well so will be going with the Dunlops when needing to.

WM