Author Topic: 650 XT - How Good is Exhaust Heat Shield?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
650 XT - How Good is Exhaust Heat Shield?
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:27 »
Well I've made a search on this topic but nothing obvious.

I'm borrowing a 650 XT for a few days in a month or so. I'm wondering how effective the heat shield is on the silencer? Same item as used on the regular 650 by the look of it. Probably there to prevent rider and pillion burning themselves but does it keep cool enough for throw over panniers to rest on it? Not like other shields made of metal. This one appears to be half way between metal and something fibrous like asbestos but it probably isn't. The obvious answer is probably don't do it and use a frame to stand them off or fit hard luggage. Of course I would for long term use but the different nature of the shield and fact its got to be safe for flesh and your clobber makes me think it might be OK.

Has anyone some experience, dare I say a feel for just how hot it gets on journeys at low engine speeds. I'm hoping as the gas flow will be low and the silencer behind the shield is not going to reach anything like its full heat that it would be OK and not melt the throw overs. A bit of softness to be expected but cleaning any burn off the heat shield might be a different story. :sunny:
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Buggrit

• Bike: DL650 AL2 white Glee
Re: 650 XT - How Good is Exhaust Heat Shield?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 18:14:42 »
I've used throw-over panniers for a trip to Edinburgh, (about 120 or so miles each way) on my standard 650 glee without any issues. I put a duster between the panniers and the heat shield/bodywork to prevent any scuff marks, tied the panniers down well, mounted high up.
Neither the heat shield nor the rubbery strip on the rear of the pannier were marked.
Live fats die yo gnu....

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
Re: 650 XT - How Good is Exhaust Heat Shield?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:31:25 »
Thank's for sharing your experience Buggrit. Gives me the confidence to throw em over and go. Particularly as the roads I'll be using are back lanes and tracks where the engine won't be working very hard. Unlike the main routes I guess you would use in and out of Edinburgh.
I'll take something to protect the finish and keep the exhaust side high as the shield does not wrap round underneath.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/