Author Topic: Veek end cans and loss of torque.  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
Veek end cans and loss of torque.
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:10 »
Hiya all. I was talking to a bloke about replacement end cans. He told me unless I was going to buy an end can from the like's of yoshimura,  acraprovic, arrow, two brothers etc basically the company's who get hold of a bike and design and dyno an exhaust specific to the bike, I'd be wasting my money and losing power. He had tried a can from mtc and beowulf. Apparently his Veek lost power over the standard end can. He reckoned a lot of cans from the value end were generic and just fitted or supplied with a link pipe to fit a specific model. Has he got a point. Is there any reason for me not to believe what he's experienced. What are everyone's thoughts and findings.

ProfG

Re: Veek end cans and loss of torque.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:44:51 »
As far as I am aware MTC cans are designed for specific bikes with proper testing etc. Infact they had offered a special deal to anyone who would supply their bike as a test bike for proper configuration of dyno for that bike.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 08:53:00 »
I have no dyno figures to prove anything but seat of the pants would say the fuel can I had was as good if not better than the remus I have now.
But it was louder and cheaply finished so I sold it on when I got the secondhand remus. Its a nice looking pipe and not loud which is what I wanted.
I think the power gain on a Veek with just an end can of any make is minimal, you need the full system for a gain and a power commander too.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:26:43 »
I think the bloke was not too well informed, yes an end can designed and tested will yield the best gains, but most if not all will give a bit more up top, and not hurt your low down torque.

As said a full system will give a good gain right across the board, with a power comander and dyno work.

I started with a fuel end can, that helped a little, then fitted the arrow link pipes, pc5,and air box mods, this gave me about 10% mid range through to top end, and improved the low end torque too.

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 17:11:13 »
I've got the Fuel Diablo with a slightly modified baffle the mid range torque is huge and the engine is much more freer reving than with the stock can. I recently put the stock can back on and was surprised just how restrictive on the engines performance it was

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 17:21:15 »
It's common to confuse noise with power. Without independent dyno figures, I don't trust power claims beyond about 2%, which is too small a difference to really feel and well below the possible 5% variations possible between different dynos and even the same dyno on different days. I can see a change for the sake of weight reduction and sound quality, not volume or power. A change for the sake of volume is self indulgent and for power is self deluding.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 18:46:29 »
The chap spoke from experience. He had a 2014 Veek. He rode a lot with lads on sports bikes. Either with the mtc or the beowulf cans on he was literally ringing the neck of the Veek to keep up but not so with the standard can. He reckoned he lost a load of torque compared to the standard. Like I said I'm just interested in what other people have found.

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 20:15:19 »
After market cans are literally open pipes removing a serious amount of back pressure from the exhaust system. Some  Back pressure is needed in systems. The greater the back pressure the more power is robbed from the engine at higher rpm. So for a track bike or rally car that's revving highly, engine breathing is important. On a road bike or car,  the rpm generally is wide spread and low back pressure at low rpms effects low down torque and driveability. The mod I have done is to add a little more pressure into the system to raise the lower down torque, make the system a little quieter overall, but yet have a freer revving engine and sporty note on the lift off, which makes all the difference on the motorway. With the stock can fitted, I have to wind the throttle further to rev past 4k rpm. This uses more fuel as more power is needed to oppose the engines exhaust back pressure. To overcome noise limits world wide across the rpm range such a system is needed. With the Fuel can fitted the rpm is much freer, the engine revs way passed 4k and less throttle is needed to maintain speeds with the modified baffle. So I agree that some flow work is needed to match the exhaust to the engine but the stock can is seriously restricted to flow. (typed on my phone hope it all makes sense!)

Offline Blade

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 16:02:49 »
I was the bloke who took the Veek to MTC and benefited from the fee end can. There was no dyno testing, it was the link pipe he needed it for.

If you think you can, or you think you can't, either way; you're right.