Author Topic: new VStrom 1000 owner with problem  (Read 5245 times)

Offline barryw33

• Bike: DL1000 K8
new VStrom 1000 owner with problem
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:38:18 »
Hi everyone,
I have just become the proud owner of a K8 DL1000. I was an Africa twin owner for many years but they are just silly money now and the vstrom seems like a bullet proof option. I think I have made the mistake of getting the Vee when I should have gone for the wee, but I just liked the solid feel of the vee. Anyway I only bought it last week and have a couple of problems. Firstly I didn't get to use it for the first 5 days and when I finally jumped aboard the battery was flat. Took it out for a bimble and all good, then next time I got on, it only just had a charge and then this morning nothing. Saying that the last two journeys have been short around town journeys, anyway the question I have is....the Africa twin had a known rectifier problem, does the vstrom have any known similar problems I should know about? Also the bike came with a spare set of keys with a datatool fob on them, but when I press it nothing happens, my worry is that the alarm is draining the battery, where would I find the bits to know whether the datatool alarm is still on the bike?. Thirdly, is there a way to turn on the ignition without the lights coming on so that they don't hammer the battery before you have even fired up the bike?
To make matters worse, I get back from my third ride(dropping son off at school after bump starting the bike to start it) and I notice a load of liquid down my leg, looks like its dripping coolant from the hose connected to the radiator on the right  hand side. I am going to check later to see if it's just a loose jubilee clip or something, but just wondering if there are any known probs with radiators, coolant that I should know about or if bumping the bike is a bad idea and could have caused this etc.
Thanks in advance chaps

ProfG

Re: new VStrom 1000 owner with problem
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:18:28 »
Hi barryw33. Go to the Introductions and introduce yourself. Maybe there is someone near you that can help.

There is no issue with the radiator connections as far as I know and I am on my third v-strom. It could be the previous owner was playing about and has not connected the hoses properly or damaged them or something.

If I were you I'd disconnect the alarm completely especially if it is a datatool. I had one on my first vee and it started to give problems. Unfortunately as it was dealer fitted it was not something I could take out as I was not familiar with it so eventually a bike spark got it out for me. You will find almost all people on this forum will tell you to remove the alarm.

As for battery drainage, check your connections and check to see whether the battery is charging. Use a multimeter across the terminals to see what the charge is when the bike is running. It should be around 14.5V give or take. After a good ride check it again while the ignition is switched off and see whether it is charging.

As for the light switch, this is something I looked into and you could put in an older vee light switch assembly, the one that's on the right handlebar with the starter button, but the problem is the connectors at the end of the cable are different and you have to make some modifications which is not really worth it. There should be no problems with the lights if you fire the bike up immediately but if you leave it for a while it can drain the battery and also damage the ignition contacts. I would leave it just as it if I were you as there is no real problem with not having a headlight switch.

Check your connectors. Suzuki build the best bikes mechanically but their finishing leaves a lot to be desired. Check and apply some anti corrosion stuff on all the electrical connectors. Also check your battery terminals to see if they are loose or you have a loose earth or something.

I'm sure people with much more knowledge and experience than me will be along shortly and give you more specific advise.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:29:30 »
hi mate, sorry to hear of your problems.
1 if you press the start button before you turn the key, this will turn the lights off but only while the button is pressed.
2 not had any issues with the rad/hoses on my k8 in the 3 years I have owned it
3 there was a recall for reg / rec  problems a long time ago so may be worth asking a stealer if its been sorted

do you have a clicking noise when trying to start it or is there nothing at all? does the fuel pump start when you turn the key?

as Prof says put a multi meter on it and see what happens, I did have a problem with charging that turned out to be the flywheel magnets but there are a lot of other things that may be the issue, but keep an eye on the meter for a few mins just to be sure

Offline barryw33

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 13:35:48 »
Thanks for the input chaps, I have the battery off the bike for a charge at the moment, then Ill check the charging circuit. Checked the radiator hose and it was not tightly fastened so hopefully that will sort it, ill report back with my findings.

so if I hold in the start button, turn the ignition on and then let go and press the start button again the lights will come on before starting?

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 14:21:50 »
no, just let go of the button and the lights come back on

Offline barryw33

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 14:53:57 »
Is there a way to keep them from coming on before the engine fires up?

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 15:00:35 »
Folks, there is absolutely no need to quote the post you are replying to if it is directly above  :ty:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

ProfG

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 15:11:44 »
barryw33

read my post about changing the switch assembly. It is more hassle than worth. Alternatively, if you are electric savvy you could disconnect the lighting loom from the switch and create an alternative switch but it's not the way I would go. There's absolutely no problem with the lights coming on when you turn the key as long as you don't leave the bike in that state for hours to drain the battery or burn the contacts.

The starter assembly has 2 pairs of contacts (4 in all). When you turn the key, the starter button connects the first two contacts and the lights come on. When you press the button to fire up the bike, these contacts are disconnected while the other pair for starting the bike are connected. When you release the button the button slides back and connects the lighting contacts (the first pair).

I'll see if I can find a photo or a drawing of it. Greywolf may have one.

Offline Sam

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 16:17:51 »
If you want your headlights to stay off when starting the bike, just do the following procedure:-
1. Press the starter button & hold it.
2. Turn the ignition on & wait for the needles to do their sweep.
3. Pull in the clutch & the bike will start.
4. Release the starter button & only then will the headlights come on.
I always started my v-stroms this way.

Offline barryw33

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 00:34:31 »
Thanks for that I'll try that tomorrow, got myself a cheapo trickle charger off ebay so hopefully it won't be a problem in the future

Offline james.t

• Bike: DL250
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 13:08:45 »
I put a switch in line so my o/s headlight is off. itill the engine is running I then turn that one on

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 21:13:45 »
If your K8 is still on its original battery, or if it's been stood around in a dealership for months, then chances are it's time for a new battery. I wouldn't worry about the lights being on when you fire up...if the battery is sound it shouldn't be an issue at all.