Author Topic: My journey to the perfect screen & gps setup - Madstad & Givi DIY combo  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Rich:-)

Helmet Hammer.... ahhhhh... Man! Stop it!
Never felt anything like it until the Wee came into my life.. :shock:

My bike came with a hybrid Givi Airflow DIY special, I guess somewhere down the line a standard Airflow had it's larger lower section smashed, so someone in my bikes history moved the Givi clamps & adjustable top screen on to the standard Suzuki Screen. It's looks like it will work but sadly only really did when I was riding 2 up.  :icon_no:

Next I farted around moving the position of the plastic bracket, then used plastic tubing to space this out to change the angle but it all failed.

Next (after complaining on here :grin:) fellow member NTBooth offered me a slightly crash damaged Madstad at a reduced price so I could try it and maybe cross it off the list of things to try. I had just made an above the clock GPS mount which was a short length of handle bar and 2 brackets so already I needed to remake that. :fix:

So now I have the Madstad on and the new shorter bar section for cheap ebay Sat Nav holder to clamp on to.

Then applied a little paint to make it match the dash

and it was ready for test ride.

It was a definite improvement over standard, and almost sorted the problem but not completely..

Next I thought I'd just try it one more time with the Givi bit attached but I didn't hold out much hope, my money was now on using a larger screen.

So on with the Givi

One quick test ride to rule this setup out turned into a much longer test ride and after testing it to above the national speed limit (on a private test track :grin:) I had a massive grin on my face, no helmet hammer & reduced wind noise too. It's still moving a lot of air out of my way, I could feel the air pressure on my arms shoulders but not on my body or head. Cruising at 80 for long periods will be no issue now.

So... just for good measure I took the 2 screens off and fitted a tall one I'd been given - Many thanks to Ptarmigan for passing this screen on FOC.
It looked really nice being a tinted screen... but quickly I found the tint to be distracting due to it reflecting the background at me whilst riding, also after about 4 adjustments of Madstad I still couldn't eliminate the buffeting, so turned to head for home to put the other screens back on.

So, there we have it.
My perfect setup,

Madstad, standard screen, Givi adjustable top screen, above dash Sat Nav, standard mirrors.

I will run with the Givi on it's lowest setting most of the time but might pull it up an inch or two if raining, at that level I'd be looking through the screen rather than over it which isn't what I like but might not need to.

I hope the above helps others, or at least spurs them on to keep experimenting.
Rich.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Well done that man.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.