Author Topic: storing 650 strom ..drain and run dry or fill and stabilise?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline willywombat

storing 650 strom ..drain and run dry or fill and stabilise?
« on: September 01, 2017, 10:55:31 »
Had my 650 stored for the last year with a full tank of stabilised fuel. Took her out yesterday and she runs perfectly but I may continue to store for a further extended period. Can anyone advise whether It is better to completely to store a fuel injected bike by:

1/removing what you can by siphoning/draining then running till dry
2/ ".............................................................................." then refilling with fresh fuel and stabiliser .

Or is there a better option ?

Lastly ...are there any problems when running a FI bike dry such as air locks / lubrication issues etc when it comes to refilling?

thanks in advance
Bill

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
Re: storing 650 strom ..drain and run dry or fill and stabilise?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:04:38 »
An fi bike will just cut out when there is no fuel entering the pump, as the pressurised side of the system is full of fuel, the bike will start straight away once refilled.
I'm sure there are lots of opinion of how to store a bike long term - how long are you anticipating?
I'd be tempted to leave full with stabiluser as long as it will keep the fuel good for that length of time.
If the tank is drained, take measures to prevent rust forming in the tank.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:09:17 »
I'd have gone with 2, as you're repeating what you've already done & said it worked fine on start up. But as above, if you drain the tank watch out for rust...

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 15:12:07 »
Generally, stabilised fuel is recommended for up to a year of storage. For much longer, things can get tricky. All fuel is best removed and blown out of the lines and injectors. The inside of the tank and the engine cylinders should get oil fogged. I would even pump some light oil through the fuel pump. Very old fuel goes through some nasty transformations. Also, fill the crankcase with oil all the way up to the filler opening. Plan on new Tyres if you don't get the weight off of them and in six to ten years after date of manufacture on the tyre side wall in any case.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s