Author Topic: Bike-less user looking for one  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Ovidiu

• Bike: DL650 K7
Bike-less user looking for one
« on: January 11, 2016, 22:05:52 »
Hello everyone,

Last year I decided to buy a bike, and after I sat standstill on a Vstrom I thought it could be the one. Mainly because of the position and the seat height. Obtained my licence some time ago, but never owned a bike, so this will be my first.
I would like to use it for occasional rides around country roads and maybe some light off-road. Do you think having a VStrom as 1st bike is a good idea considering the intended use?

If yes, I would like to find an ABS bike that is not not too expensive, maybe between (2000-3000 pounds). I think these are realistic expectations, am I wrong? Looked around the forum and private sale sites and at the moment there are none that will fit the profile, there were some last year.

Also, one issue would be that I don't have the necessary equipment or riding experience to go and pick up the bike from far away.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Ovidiu.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Bike-less user looking for one
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 23:34:47 »
I think 3,500 would get a tidy bike with abs. Less money and you're looking at higher mileage or a little tatty. But there are bargains out there.
Abs became an option in 2007, but my bike was a 2006 bike on a 07 plate. But it was only an option and not all bikes were abs.

Light offroading on a v-strom... yes.

And then some.
But not for the faint hearted or inexperienced.
A bit of gravel track will be fine, but I'd always recommend learning offroad skills on a lighter, less powerful bike.

Plastics are expensive to replace and easily damaged.

But for country lanes and touring the strom is a great bike. Fun and stable, confidence inspiring for new riders providing you can get your feet flat on the ground. They can be a little too heavy when fully fuelled and loaded.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:29:57 »
At £3000 you could get a really good bike, maybe an older one with low miles, even. Don't worry too much about the miles, as long as it looks well maintained and there is some proof (service records/bills etc). The older the bike, the less likely it is to have ABS.

Have a look in this area of the forum: http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16041.0  for buying a strom.

You can get a bike delivery service (eg http://www.movingmotorcycles.co.uk/) to transport your bike home, once you have been to view it, sit on it etc.) (btw, the above is not a recommendation, just an example, search 'bike delivery'). Since you are in the middle of the country -ish, you will probably be looking at about £100 delivery (just to give you an idea)

Or, if you have a bike-insured mate, they might be able to ride yours at 3rd party...

As for riding off-road, as Diver said, only very light, and in dry conditions. Take it easy, expensive to fix and a bit top-heavy to pick up - especially out of mud, and by yourself!

Good luck with your search... :thumb: :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:47:13 »
They really are a fantastic bike, I had my glee from new and did only 17000 miles when I swapped it for a Yamaha Super Tenere but realistically I should have kept it a bit longer.

Light off road? Yes they are brill, the only issues I found were the ground clearance isn't great so stick a bash plate on and also the seat is quite wide, so if you are a shorty like me it can be awkward to get your feet down in places.

I passed my mod 2 and got the vstrom at 18 with a restricted ECU, it was the perfect introduction to the big bike world. They inspire confidence and handle VERY well for what they are. A note of caution there though, I have been riding and racing bikes since the age of 5  :shy:
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Ovidiu

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 20:16:33 »
Thank you all!

Your advice and opinions are very useful, so:
Still under internal debate but I will probably increase the budget by 500 pounds.
Will start easy with off-road, I wanted it only to visit country roads, which are paved in UK anyway. And yes I can get my feet flat on the ground.
Great post to read about SH bikes, really useful. Same as delivery service -sounds good and takes a lot of head aches away-.

How important would the ABS be for a beginner?
Seller - private vs dealer - is it a big difference ? price or quality? At the moment I can see mostly dealers.
Accessories, how relevant should they be? According to the selling guide on this site they would not increase the selling price, so for me, the buying price.

A bike that would fit into my conditions would be the one here , has no accessories, is that a problem? any opinions ?

Offline boac

• Bike: 650 AK7
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:12:17 »
Hi Ovidiu

I was in a very similar position to you last year, got my licence in 2007 but still hadn't got a bike. I went looking for a strom with the same £2-3k budget and wanted an ABS model. It took a few weeks of searching and I did start to look at a few bikes above £3000 but eventually I found an '07 Wee with ABS and 11500 miles on the clock advertised on this forum for which I paid £2250, and I'm very, very happy with it.  My advice would be to stick to your budget and keep looking. There may not be many private sales around just now as it's the middle of winter but that will change as riding season approaches. Keep in mind that a very shiny looking 2015 Glee with only 4k miles just sold on here for £4550.

Dealers/private - dealers are always going to be more expensive as they have to make their profit. For me it wasn't worth it to pay the extra, not that I didn't consider them, just that I couldn't justify the extra cash for a lesser specced bike. I knew next to nothing about how to go about buying a used bike, in fact I've never even owned a car, but there is some great advice in LaKraven's post in the for sale section that Gassoon linked to, read that and also the guide that I linked in that same topic. That should give you some confidence to go and look at private sale bikes. Obviously, if you have any mates who are into bikes ask them to view some bikes with you.

As for accessories, sure, all the guides seem to suggest they shouldn't factor in the price but try telling that to the sellers! Have a good think about what extras you really want/need. For general bimbling about and a bit of off road a sump guard and crash bars will be more useful than a top box and panniers. The one thing I would suggest will always be useful is a centre stand - just makes maintenance like oiling the chain so much easier. It will work out more expensive to buy and fit things yourself but you don't want to be paying above your budget for a bike with loads of bits fitted to it that you don't care about. How important is it to you to have a fancy after market exhaust? Then again, you could maybe take things off and sell them to make some of your money back?

The Wee has been a fantastic first bike for me. It has enough power that I don't think I'll get bored of it soon, it can still scare me if I ask it to but is very easy to handle and ride sensibly and gives me confidence. For shorter riders the height might be a problem but from what you say it sounds like you'll be fine. I can't speak for off-road use as I never intended to do any, and as my bike came with lower fairings I still don't! I use it for fun riding around the countryside, some commuting and discovered touring when I went for a two week trip last September - all the way to Berlin and back. I really can't fault it as a great all round bike.

Kit and experience to ride it home - when I was looking I had to discount bikes that were a long way away because I didn't want to buy without viewing the bike in person. I still had all the necessary kit from when I did my test years before. Surely you will have to get the kit at some point if you're ever going to ride it? I also went for a "Back to biking" day with a local instructor (on one of their bikes) before I bought mine which gave me a bit of confidence that I could remember how to do it! I was still nervous as I rode my new bike home, especially as I timed it badly and it was rush hour - a journey that I'd now do in less than an hour took me about two, sitting in traffic not wanting to filter. The point is that the experience will only come from riding the bike, you've just got to get on with it! Good luck with everything, you won't regret it :)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 18:17:14 »
I'm planning on selling my bike in the very near future and it sounds just the bike for you :)
I've not advertised it yet but I'll send you a pm..

Offline The Menace

• Bike: 2014 Vstrom 650
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 19:27:27 »
Just spotted this one, not ABS though, 2005, £2495, 11,000+ miles, got a few bits on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181989528354

Offline Ovidiu

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 22:11:55 »
Great post from Boac, helps a lot!
Looked at two bikes, one from Locky, very good bike, but not the one from me. And the link provided by The Menace, unfortunately no ABS.

Thanks again for the advice and help provided. I'll keep on looking, any suggestions are welcomed.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 13:39:19 »
Just thought I'd put a pic of my bike in the thread. It will be in the for sale section in the near furtue.

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 21:13:11 »
My OH has a 12 plate White 650 L0 (non ABS though), engine bars, sump guard, sports screen etc all standard except the flush indicators at the front. Mot due May 16, its first one was last year with no advisories..would suit your budget perfectly :smirk:

it also has a givi rack with the E22 boxes which will stay on for the right price

Offline Ovidiu

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 00:40:00 »
Thanks for the info, it sounds like a good bike, but at the moment I am looking for one with ABS.