Author Topic: Cleaning brakes  (Read 943 times)

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
Cleaning brakes
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:07:39 »
Hi all,

I have just had to free off the calipers on my BMW as the pads were dragging a bit on the discs.

I was warned off using spray brake cleaner by members of the BMW Owners forum because it allegedly damages the seals around the pistons. It's great stuff to spray over every now and again but for the life of me I can't see why a brake cleaner that is intended to clean brakes would be formulated with chemicals that actually damage parts of the brakes.

I didn't do a full strip of the calipers and on this occasion simply took then off and did use cleaner to blast off the crud.

However, I feel guilty! What I need is a cleaner that can be used every now and again (like the spray brake cleaner) but one that does not damage the brake parts.

Anything out there? What do you use? Gunk? Kerosene? .......I realise I need to keep lubricants off the pads and discs.

Thanks

David
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Cleaning brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 12:39:54 »
I use Swarfega Stop Quick as it isn't as volatile, smelly or agressive as the spray cans. I bought it in a 5 litre tin and use a small brush to apply: I find it more effective at removing crud since it is worked in & lasts longer before evaporating away. It claims to have been tested on plastic & rubber and I feel it is a bit kinder than the normal stuff anyway. Also comes as a pump or areosol.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
Re: Cleaning brakes
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 12:49:04 »
Thanks Mr Nick

That looks the ticket
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.