Author Topic: Max Windage  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Grievesy

• Bike: Honda Varadero 125, V-Strom Glee 65 Reg
Max Windage
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:00:32 »
What wind speed to people start to think 'that's plenty' no more riding for me. This was a question I thought to myself a few times during the recent weather.

When I was on my 125cc, 20mph was scary enough, not really so bad on the V-Strom as it's a lot heavier and the bike doesn't really get blown about but the other day I got caught out riding along the M8 in 40+MPH winds. was tasty I can tell thee! felt like I was leaning to a 45 degree angle to keep it in a straight line.

Just curious as to what other riders think, and if you get better the more experienced you are. I've been riding just shy of 2 years :)

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
Re: Max Windage
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:26 »
If you need to go you go. Proper hurricanes are different but we get those about every 50 years in the UK.

Pick your route to avoid exposed roads with insane traffic that'll pressure you on speed and lane position, stick your knee out on the upwind side, weight the pegs and get the speed and gearing in a combination that'll give acceleration to drive against the wind should you need it.*

*a 294cc MZ in 70 mph gusts is happy at about 40 mph in 4th gear and then does about 30 mpg, so don't forget the obvious!

Andy

Offline stuzero

• going custom....
  • Bike: project K2-Vee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:52:53 »
I've rode all year round for coming up to 15 years on many different bikes, but the winds we've had lately are getting really extreme. I do alot of motorway commuting at the minute and getting blown into the next lane puts it up you. The best advice is to try and remain relaxed and find the point where you feel in control eg speed holding the bike straightish but not so quick that any 'instant desicion' control isn't going to be dangerous. Its all about feel.
Do blue ones go faster..... only one way to find out.... now how does it go back together

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:12:21 »
It does get better with experience.

As a mostly pleasure only biker, I don't have to go out in the wind. The BBC Weather site uses coloured icons for wind speed on a per-hour basis. I am happy to go out during periods shown by grey arrows, but not a streak of several consecutive black ones. I believe they transition at around 40mph.

If I get caught out in the wind though, then it isn't a big problem now I have that experience.

Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:06:46 »
I slow it down and keep away from "fast roads" where HGV's that are travelling faster are not a hazard. I don't rely on engine power to keep me in a straight line. It will do so, but only up to a point and when that point is reached a gust can blow me across the road.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 20:14:40 »
I've found-if you have a top box on, take it off if you can manage without that day.

Also, lay on the tank and relax- don't fight the wind. Drop a cog if its head wind.

Slow down a touch and if its clear ahead ride the central white line-Same as for fog.

My commute to work takes me to 1300ft above sea level via;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhow

We were no 3 spot in the UK for highest rainfall around Boxing day 97mm in 48hrs-
couldn't go anywhere that day.......roads resembled rivers.

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/12/