Author Topic: Tyre changing help  (Read 2379 times)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Tyre changing help
« on: December 28, 2015, 23:10:12 »
Decided to change my tyres myself having watched YouTube show how easy it was. Armed with two tyre levers, two tyre protectors and some soapy water I set about tackling the front tyre.

Well, I don't know what Anakee IIIs are made of but bugger me it was a right PITA to remove. After what seems forever, I've managed to get the old tyre off and a new PR4 on the rim (not the 15mins YouTube suggests),  but I can't get the bead to seat on the rim as the tyre sits too low down in the well. Does anyone have any good tips on how to sort this out? Have seen flammable sprays and lighters used on YouTube but wasn't sure that was a good idea...

(The rear tyre may well get mounted at the local shop as it was way too much hassle doing the front one)

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Tyre changing help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 23:25:40 »
Try a squirter of wd40 or such round the seat, then get a ratchet strap round the centre or the tyre and pinch it up a little then get air in from an airline, with a little messing about getting the ratchet strap tightened just right it should pop onto the rims.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:42:47 »
After trying and failing I don't bother with tubeless changes. I take the wheel off and give by local tyres place a tenner to swap em over. Not worth the effort fighting with tyre levels.

I tried ratchet straps, fire, compressed air, leaving the tyre in the sun but I couldn't seat the bead.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:00:46 »
It's always easier if the tyres are warm when removing and fitting them. Also when trying to seat the beads, don't put the valve in as it restricts the air flow when you need as much pressure and flow to start sealing them. Proper tyre soap also helps.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 13:19:27 »
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried ratchet straps and valve core removed but the tyre (which is the correct size) doesn't seem to be wide enough to make contact with the rim, so think bike shop beckons.

Think I'm with Bigpie on this for the future, seems far too much hassle not to get the local shop to fit them.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 15:43:11 »
Hi I echo big pie it's just not worth the hassle let the tyre fitters do it  :)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 20:02:45 »
Tried it on the deauville's rear pilot road a few years back. (Same size and the strom tyre) ended up getting angry and kicking it to buggery but the thing went on. I found the best tool to get the tyre on the rim is a size 11 caterpillar boot with 16 stone behind it.

Couldn't get the thing to seat on the bead so took it to tyre place... 10 seconds on a air line and bang, bang it was seated. All the YouTube tricks take practice and patience I don't have and a decent compressor with fairly large storage tank.

It's too much hassle when £20 for the local tyre place to fit them in 10 mins to the loose wheels.

The last 5 sets of tubeless tyres I've had fitted came from Oponeo and fitted with local tyre place. It's just far easier. 

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 22:05:29 »
Glad it's not just me then  :grin:

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 23:38:36 »
I cursed enough doing the tubed tyres on the DRZ and Sherpa I'd never try a tubeless one!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 00:18:00 »
Agreed but the likes of this make it look pretty easy... (it's all lies  :old:)

Took the front to the local bike shop the other day. One mechanic asked if I'd ordered the right size tyre as it was loose on the rim (I had obviously) and another said the tyre walls sometimes compress in when stored so may need to pack the tyre out to fit. Left it with them and an hour later the tyre was ready for the costly sum of £5.  :lala: Got it home, balanced and installed,  rear off and back to the shop. Collected later on for the price of £10... bargain!

Still got to balance the rear tyre - it's being a bit weird, it's balanced 3/4s but if I put it to 3 o'clock it seems to move but not at 9 o'clock  :shrug: going to have another look tomorrow

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 08:18:15 »
I struggle to get rid of old tyres too, tip won't take them.
Tyre place charges a couple of quid to get rid of the old one and balance the wheel, on top of the tenner to change it. Not worth the faff any other way.

Another local place fits for 'free', ride in and ride out, if you buy tyres there.