Author Topic: Main beam on regardless of switch position  (Read 3375 times)

Offline awicks

• Bike: DL650 L2, White
Main beam on regardless of switch position
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:16:58 »
Following my dipped beam headlight issue last week, I took the bike to the garage on Saturday and they confirmed it was due to corroded contacts in the connector behind the radiator. They cleaned this out and the headlight was working fine.

Fast-forward to my commute this morning and I noticed that the main beam indicator coming on faintly without the switch being touched. As I continued to ride, the indicator became brighter and brighter. When I stopped I confirmed that the headlights are also on main beam. If I turn on the main beam using the switch or pass button then the indicator and lights do increase in brightness slightly (maybe from 80% brightness to 100%). Toggling the switch did not turn off the indicator or main beam. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the light using the connectors in the rubber cover in the left-hand fairing, but this made no difference.

Any idea what might be the cause of this? I need to ride home from work on it this evening - is riding it in this state likely to cause any issues?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Re: Main beam on regardless of switch position
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:47:49 »
I would suspect a "dodgy connection" or a "bridged connection". It could well be the hi/lo switch has failed.
If you paid a garage to sort out the problem, take it back and say they have caused another issue and get them to sort it out.

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:49:13 »
The only issue I can see to riding with main beam on is to other road users, you may well get flashed at all the time. (not by someone in a long rain coat by the way !!!!!)

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:00:49 »
Maybe the dealer has used some conductive grease to 'seal' the connector they cleaned and this is causing a short?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:30:35 »
Maybe the dealer has used some conductive grease to 'seal' the connector they cleaned and this is causing a short?
That would match the symptoms precisely. Also, anybody who did that should be banned from the industry.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 13:18:08 »
I have my moments Pat  :smirk:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline awicks

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 13:37:39 »
When chatting with the mechanic at the garage on Saturday, he said that he had "sprayed in some acid to clean the contacts, washed that all off and then put in some white grease to stop it happening again" <-- this sounds like it could be the cause!

Maybe time to call the garage...

Andy

Offline greywolf

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 13:49:23 »
Any grease used should be dielectric grease rather than conductive grease. I'm not saying conductive grease was necessarily used, but it would fit the symptoms.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 15:05:08 »
Something like ACF50 corrosion block grease? I had the tank off at the weekend and put a blob on the backs of the connectors. I couldn't get to the front screw to remove the airbox to get at them properly. Sounds like I could do with having another go and get some grease in there to prevent something like this.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 20:10:11 »
When mine were knackered up,  I took them apart and poured ACF50 into the connectors  (every connector on the bike I could find) and put a big dollop of ACF50 Corrosion Block on the back of them for good measure. Corrosion Block is dielectric, though mechanic did say vaseline does the job too.

As your bike went in with a headlight issue I'd take it back to be re-fixed.

Offline awicks

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 12:29:39 »
On my way home last night, once I was up to motorway speed the problem seems to have sorted itself out. I was riding along and the main beam indicator was fading in and out, before going out completely. I am able to turn on / off main beam and my dipped beam worked as normal and there was no repeat of the problem this morning.

I am going to keep an eye on it, and maybe when I get some time will take it apart to see if I can work out what is going on. I spoke with the garage yesterday afternoon and they did say I should take it back for them to have a look at if I wanted to.

Thanks again for all your help,

Andy