Author Topic: Fettling the Vee  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Cbx

• Bike: DL1000 K2
Fettling the Vee
« on: December 15, 2015, 20:35:28 »
OK so its nearly time to get the Glee sorted and put back to standard ride height. Now considering I only had a short test ride and have never owned a twin the bike seemed pretty sorted I knew the chain , sprockets were shot but after a longer ride I now reckon the Cush rubbers are shot too.

So as I'm going to be replacing all of them should I also do the rear wheel spacer mod that seems to be recommended if so which would you suggest the Adventuretech bearing or Cymarc rear sprocket spacer.

So many questions
sorry blokes

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
Re: fettling the Glee
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 20:43:16 »
Ooh, tell me the problem re the spacer?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 21:11:16 »
Cush drive rubbers gone...?

My Wee was getting on and @ 60k miles the cush drive was perfectly good.

The wheel allingment issue was only for the 1000cc bikes. The 650cc bikes were fine. You would be causing a misalignment if you fit one.
Even with brand new chain and sprockets the strom makes alot of chain noise.
The oem front sprocket is rubber damped, after market ones generally are not and thus cause more noise. Check to see which one you have.

Ride Coordinator

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 21:24:55 »
The thread says Glee, your profile and intro says 2004 DL1000.

Which one is it ?

As Mr Diver says, the spacer was an issue on the 1000's, so we suspect you mean a DL1000(Vee) and not a Glee.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Cbx

• Bike: DL1000 K2
Re: fettling the Vee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:40:00 »
Edit to correct title

Yeah it's a DL1000 , that'll teach me not to recite the names over and over.

As for Cush rubber I'm guessing there knackered as chain has been over tightened , feels like 3second delay before the drive picks up

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Fettling the Vee
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 15:26:22 »
Over tightening the chain is unlikely to damage the rubbers. What may be damaged are the chain, the gearbox and rear wheel sprockets, the rear wheel sprocket carrier bearing and possibly the rear wheel bearings themselves. It would be wise to carefully check all of these and replace any that are showing signs of wear. Hopefully the gearbox sprocket bearing is OK as this is a big job to replace. The cush drive rubbers will wear  and can be replaced or repacked with something like pieces of inner tube glued onto the old rubbers as long as the old ones are not breaking up. I'm not sure what you mean by the "3 second delay before the drive picks up"?