Author Topic: G2 Throttle Tamer - Recommended  (Read 3726 times)

Offline caddyboy

• Bike: 2014 V strom 1000, 2001 Freewind
G2 Throttle Tamer - Recommended
« on: January 19, 2016, 14:20:12 »
A G2 throttle tamer popped though my letterbox this morning and 30 minutes later its on the bike. What an improvement !
I tested it wearing thick gloves ( 2 degrees C today) and was impressed with the smoother pick up within half a mile, trickling through town at 30mph was silky  :stirpot: compared to the stock throttle, no abruptness or feathering the clutch required, pick up out of corners was noticeably smoother and all round the ride quality was much better.
I am not one to enthuse too much on bike accessories  but I really recommend this to anyone who notices the abrupt throttle at low speed (l also reckon that the fuel economy has improved).

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: G2 Throttle Tamer - Recommended
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 18:36:22 »
Sorry, total 'never heard of it before' here..............  :shy:

Would you mind explaining more......what is it physically? ......what does it replace? ..... is it a must or just something for a problem with throttle response?

:ty: in advance.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline plumber02

• Bike: DL1000-K8 wr450f
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 19:08:03 »
got them on our off road stuff,replaces throttle tube, if its the same thing? its like a cam that pulls the first quarter of cable travel a bit more progressive , ie. the first 5-10deg of twist becomes more  like 10-15deg, stops us from flipping the bikes on knarley slow stuff, depending on which cam you use , most come with 3 , will have to say that if you don't keep grease on the part of the cable that rubs it will fray and make sure they're aluminium not plastic, from experience

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 19:08:14 »
Sounds like a good product. Where did you get it from and how much was it?

Offline caddyboy

• Bike: 2014 V strom 1000, 2001 Freewind
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 22:28:21 »
Hi all, Plumber02 describes the product very well, it's  a different throttle tube from standard with a very slight cam profile that softens the cable pull right at the start then quickly sharpens it back up to standard for mid range and top end.
I bought it from M&P motorcycles online for £69.99. The G2 is a quality item made of metal with smooth inserts to also reduce turning friction on the bars. All I had to do was open the throttle casing, unhook the 2 x throttle cables to remove the throttle tube. I spent about 10 minutes with hot soapy water and a thin screw driver to slide off the rubber grip from the removed throttle tube.
Its just a matter then putting the rubber grip on the new G2 tube, slide the G2 tube on the bar and  reconnect the housing.
It really should be standard item on all injected motors and makes the bike feel more like a seamless carburrated bike, its much more forgiving to minute twitches on the throttle when you ride hence a smoother ride.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 00:05:28 »
Sounds a good product, thank you.

Offline Simmo24

• Bike: 2020 KTM 790 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 16:56:33 »
This is a good thing, my throttle is a bit snatchy at low revs, think I may invest in one of these.

Thanks for the info on how to fit  :)
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
Always try just one more time. -Thomas Edison