Author Topic: Air box removal  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Kimbles

• Bike: 2014 Vstrom 1000 in red
Air box removal
« on: December 25, 2015, 17:53:04 »
Hi everyone and merry Christmas  :xmasgrin:

I'm hoping I can get some help, I removed my tank the other day and managed to put a rubber tube over the wires that are close to the tank but I'm wanting to get to my connectors under the tank to clean and put inner tubes over for waterproofing and was wondering if the removal of the air box is easy enough for a beginner.

I am trying to get into the doing more for myself with maintenance but I'm no mechanic so taking small steps and thought I maybe able to get that job done before asking the lads when I take it for its 2nd service.

Thanks in advance
Kim

Offline awicks

• Bike: DL650 L2, White
Re: Air box removal
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 21:30:54 »
I managed to take my air box off recently. Wasn't too difficult - the hardest part was getting at the screw on the collar beneath it. With that loose it came off easily. I have now purchased a screwdriver bit extension which would make the job a lot easier.

Chatting to the mechanic at the garage it would appear to be easier to get access to the connectors by tilting the top of the radiator forwards instead of having to remove the tank and air box.

Offline Kimbles

• Bike: 2014 Vstrom 1000 in red
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 14:47:19 »
Thanks awicks I will give that a go with the radiator tilt as really not sure about getting the airbox off my mechanic skills are basic unfortunately but starting to get a little better just by tinkering and reading some threads on here  :)

Offline arran66

• Bike: DL1000 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 17:19:22 »
Funny enough it's not too bad to strip the v strom down very easy just do it bit by bit

make sure you know and save where all the screws go and go from one of bike to the other

The air box is pretty simple just a long scewdriver Allan key needed for front air box

Which you get too from the clutch side of the bike feed it through between pipes

And the only other thing is there's an air pipe attached to the box with a sqeeze conector

Easy to get off like you I was worried about going it but if you just take your time it's easy

Offline BugMagnet

• Bike: 2014 DL1000A
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 02:55:22 »
What size allan key is that? I will order a long one to have handy next time I remove my tank.

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 17:06:59 »
I finished water proofing my connectors today, you have to take the airbox out to access them it's the easiest route. Also I found that if you remove the cable ties from the cables that comes down from the ignition switch it gives a bit of slack when working on the connectors. We shouldn't have to do this...... :icon_exclaim:

Offline tibertov

• Bike: V-Strom 1000A L4
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 08:50:41 »
Why don't you proof your connectors at dealer, don't you have guarantee on vee2?