Author Topic: Home made satnav bracket  (Read 1517 times)

Offline TimothyTim

• Bike: DL650 K6
Home made satnav bracket
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:44:30 »
06 Strom 650 - Having seen bits of plumbing used before in this forum to support a satnav, I have used the basic principle (thanks to whoever got me started) and made some changes to suit my needs.. This will ONLY work if your screen is at its highest setting, as you need the holes at the top of the screen bracket to attach to.
I have an old Nokia Windows phone lying around which comes loaded with free world maps and doesn't use any data (no sim needed), so more like a satnav. I bought a waterproof case for it for £30 and attempted to fit it somewhere on my handlebars.
Whilst it fits, its far too low to be of any use, as it requires me to look down and take my eyes off the road. I therefore needed it to sit higher and it now sits just below the top of the screen, so very much in my eye line.
Stuff needed to create this device is :
2 x 22mm Munson Rings from your plumber. The (male/bolt) back plate supplied is no good/wrong shape, so you will need :
2 x M10 bolts and a selection of washers/spacers if bolts not right length.
Take your screen off and bolt the Munson rings through the screen bracket. don't fully tighten anything as yet.
You then need some 22mm copper (plastic may do, but didn't want any wobble/vibes) pipe. I used around 3-4 inches on each vertical 'post' but you can use longer or shorter bits of pipe to suit your needs. Place the posts vertically, held by the Munsons. Again, don't tighten as yet..
Next you need 2 x 90 degree 22mm elbows. I used speed-fit/plastic as cheaper and easier than copper.
These sit on top of your vertical posts and between them, stick another short (you are very limited as to space here) length of 22mm pipe.
Get everything in place, as will be a tight fit and then tighten off all joins and fixings.
I was hoping to put a 12v socket next to it but no room, so will fit to one of the upright posts. If you are competent at soldering, then using standard 22mm copper elbows would increase the space available on your horizontal bar, as the speed-fit 90's elbows are chunky..
Approximate cost £12-£15 for the plumbing bits and around 30 mins to create..
I'm sure you could do the same with 15mm pipe, but I wanted something that would be rigid/permanent/chunky..
Herewith some photos.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
Re: Home made satnav bracket
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 14:10:08 »
brilliant idea, get some varnish on the copper pipe to stop it turning green though  :clap:

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 18:30:17 »
good idea.

Ohh... mine went green

Offline pieman53

• Bike: DL1000 K6, DL1000A L9
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 22:23:47 »
What a cracking idea. :sunny: