Author Topic: Rear Brake - Loss of efficiency  (Read 965 times)

Offline Descolada

Rear Brake - Loss of efficiency
« on: August 17, 2015, 14:44:35 »
Last week I performed a full maintenance cycle on my wee (AK9) - primarily because it needed it, but also becasue I had been unhappy with the efficiency of my rear brake for some time.

The current pads are EBC sintered and still have loads of meat left on them. I also changed the rear brake fluid and cleaned out the bleed nippple. But the rear brake still feels like it's doing very little, even when I am putting full pressure on the rear brake. (on the centre stand)If I depress the rear brake pedal and hold the back wheel it stops and I can't physically turn the back wheel, so all seems fine until I try that again on a test ride. Then I get a very weak performance all over again.

The only time these seem to do what I expect is (surprisingly) when I am riding in the rain.

I have cleaned off the pads, checked for oil or copper grease contamination etc. But there's no sign of any of this.

At this point I am considering a change of rear pads (even though they don't need it) but though I would throw it out here first just in case anyone else had seen this same issue / behaviour?

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Re: Rear Brake - Loss of efficiency
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 15:28:17 »
My rear brake on my K6 is the same, I am beginning to wonder if it is the brake house, maybe past its best, I am about to do the same as you, strip, clean, and re bleed.

Offline The Big Dog

• Bike: 1050 xt 2022
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 18:52:10 »
I had a similar loss of performance yet plenty of meat on the pads. Turned out to be loads of crap on the Pistons stopping them from working properly

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 20:04:47 »
In view of the low cost, change brake fluid, (if you haven't already)?

Then if no improvement, new pads, Contamination on the pads is very difficult to get rid of.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 20:39:01 »
EBC sintered pads are great when they are new but once they get some use after a while they loose there efficiency plus they bugger your disc.
firstly I'd clean your disc with something abrasive because road grime and dirt can build up on your disc then replace your pads with either OEM or brembo, try this first then replace your brake line with something better.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:23:15 »
Have you serviced the caliper? It might never have been done, even with cheap pads you should be able to lock the rear wheel up on the road.  I'd at least get the piston out as far as I could and give it a good clean. If there's corrosion on the outside of the caliper you can bet there's some on the inside pushing the seals out and stopping the piston moving.