Author Topic: Trail wings  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
Trail wings
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:52:46 »
Hi blokes,
Looked back through a few old postings on the TW 152's.

Does anyone know if they are a new compound or anything as they came on my XT as standard and (other than puncturing at 300 miles) I havent had any real issues so far but I every aware there is very little love for them on here.

I had an set on my DRZ400S back in 2008 and they seemed OK on that unless it was wet then they got a little slidy. (chucked it down the road at "60", dry road with a mid corner stream running over)
2008 650

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Trail wings
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:21:58 »
same design, same compound- still as crap as they have always been.

I had a trail Wing Front and battle wing rear on my Varadero when I recently bought it. the thing handled like a pig even though they hadn't squared off much. Ripped them off and put something better on and the thing falls into corners with out the fight I had with the bridgestones.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:33:21 »
Fair enough I was wondering about compounds as I seem to have scrubbed mine in very quickly
2008 650

Offline ukiboy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 19:05:28 »
I'll be honest and say I'm sticking up for the Trailwing - my 2010 Wee came with them as stock and my 2014 Glee had them on from the factory too. I find them adequate. Have done 7056 miles on my Glee and the rear Trailwing is starting to square off but still another 3 and a bit mm of tread left and the front has closer to 4mm.
In the dry the tyres are more than adequate for the intended use, considering the performance of the Glee.
In the wet they aren't cutting edge, but again, they are OK.
As 'older generation' tyres I think they are not too bad, especially when you take into account the performance and the style of the Vstrom - the TW's are hardly pushed to the limit.
If you want truly shocking tyres then try the Honda CBF1000 - a high performance bike fitted with antiquated Bridgestone BT57's. They gave me scares EVERY day and in the wet I had to pack several spare pairs of Y-fronts...
I changed those at 4000 miles when they still had plenty of tread left for some Avon Storms...

Offline Trekker

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 06:44:44 »
I've also been quite happy with the Trailwing and I recently gave mine a very good workout in the Picos mountains without any problems. Just changed the rear to a Battleax A40 after 8000 miles and that seems good to me as well. However, I strongly believe tyres are a really personal thing, when I rode TDM 900's, many of my mates swore by PR2's (at that time they were the newest) but I hated them and switched to BT023's which I thought were a fantastic tyre.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 08:36:42 »
'Bad' tyres ridden moderately -  'good' tyres ridden stupidly......any difference? My experience with grippy tyres is that you tend to push them, if you are so inclined, until they nearly slip! The TW's seem fine to me. If I ever lose the back end it will probably be due to my riding beyond their capabilities. When the time comes to change, I'll pop down to M&P, see what are the best bargains, and buy. I will then ride accordingly. Too many riders read reports then, convinced they have the best rubber, feel smugly protected. For the moment it will probably be Anakee 2's.

Offline cpjs

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 17:45:44 »
Unfortunately you have no control over other road users, when you are riding in the wet and someone pulls out in front of you and you slam on the brakes in a panic the stopping distance between cheap less grippy tyre and a premium tyre like the PR4's will be considerable. Pay the extra and know that you have given yourself the best chance you can.
as they say...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Too young to be in care, too old to remember why.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 21:31:58 »
I think you have to be happy with your choice (or the originals). I found the TW's were loose and squirmed (felt they might give too much) in the wet. I would have worn them through from new but had a rear puncture at 5000 kms which was not repairable so put on Anakee 3's. I'm a fan of Michelin so had no doubt in my choice. I now do so much more pushing into corners, two up and use those edges a bit more.

Tyres are always personal so go with what you feel right with.  :grin:
So how's it going so far then?