Author Topic: White reflective tape  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Strommerboy

• Bike: DL 650 k9 with 43000 miles
White reflective tape
« on: July 25, 2015, 18:25:30 »
Am I allowed to stick white reflective tape to the rear of my panniers? I've received conflicting advice in this regard so I've decided to ask my fellow Vstrom riders for the definitive view. Thanks.

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
Re: White reflective tape
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 18:55:06 »
I've always been under the impression that anything that emits or reflects white light, other than number plate light, to the rear is illegal.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 01:34:44 »
I wanted to put reflective tape on my white helmet but it had to be red at the back and white only at the front. It doesn't look very nice to see red stripes on the white helmet but then, as I used it for safety reasons, I don't care. I was also adviced not to use white at the back of it as I could have problems with police.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Timmo

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 15:09:17 »
Bit confused by this, my jacket has white reflective tape on back and my boots have white reflective tape down back The new Volvo paint for life is white reflective,where is the legal position on this?

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 15:22:58 »
White lights to rear, working vehicles or reversing only. White reflective material will reflect whatever colour is thrown at it.

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 15:55:01 »
I asked my mate who sign writes, wraps vehicles for a living, including some responce vehicles.

According to him you can have anything you like the only thing is "total reflected light" apparently. Ie- there is guidelines saying you shouldn't cover an entire vehicle with reflective material but he is fairly sure that isn't law.
2008 650

Offline frez

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 16:25:54 »
As clothing is not part of the vehicle I can't see how vehicle rules apply, so I can't see any problem with white rear facing reflective tape on jackets, boots or helmets.

As far as retro reflective on vehicles for conspicuous marking purposes (HGV's and vehicles that need to stop on the highway), it's red or yellow to rear, yellow or white to side, white is not permitted to the rear.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 19:08:06 »
Interesting about no white to the rear..........

All helmets sold here in France have four white reflective  stickers which are supposed to be stuck on both sides, front and REAR of the helmet by the purchaser to comply with European directive(s). I believe the directive was proposed to all European countries but only France transformed it to Law. It is not persued by the police or Gendarme.

You'll probably all know of failed attempts here to impose other safety regulations: breathalysers for all and day glow reflective material on motorcycle jackets are the most recent.

Emergency hi-viz vests must be carried here by riders from January 2016, there are tests for checking HP of motorbikes above 100BHP and a general 80kph speed limit being proposed, some areas are already located.

Bear in mind also that you can drink and drive here (not my recommendation) as there is a sliding scale of limits/penalties that fines you, removes licence points before banning you!  :shrug:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 22:44:54 »
And all them bloody cones .... they are wrapped in white tape and no one is confused by them.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline pilky68

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 23:47:14 »
Lights and reflectors are governed by

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
&
Section 41 Road Traffic Act.

If you check on the Gov Legislation Website you will still have no clue. Clear as mud.

I would suggest sticking to the red reflectors to be 100% safe from prosecution.

I have been a bobby for many years and never come across this problem.

Offline Buggrit

• Bike: DL650 AL2 white Glee
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 00:32:12 »
I wear a hi-viz jacket over the top of my bike jacket and it has white reflective tapes to both front and rear - they are designed to make the wearer visible whatever/wherever they are, so anything that makes you more visible has to be a bonus.
I reckon the plod have enough to do without bothering about a couple of reflective tapes on your panniers. If stopped for it you can peel them off.
I fitted some white reflective rim tape to the wheels which would be seen from the side, I wonder how that stands?
More to the point, what about the bloke down our street who runs a totally matt black Audi A3 - he must have a death wish!   :stirpot:

mike.
Live fats die yo gnu....

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 05:21:46 »
Come to think of it, many years ago I applied some black reflective tape (it reflects white) to the top box, never had any issues.
I really really wouldn't worry about it :)

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 10:46:10 »
Red reflective tape on rear of bike or panniers
Amber reflective tape on side of bike or panniers
White reflective tape facing forward if you need it.

Clothing is not a fixed part of bike and different rules apply.

Although someone will come along and disagree  :eusa-doh:

As a matter of interest why would you want white on the rear of the bike. Does it have white panniers?
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:32:15 »
It looks black normally.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121498517197

And my panniers are not a fixed part of the bike.

Offline Strommerboy

• Bike: DL 650 k9 with 43000 miles
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 16:22:26 »
Thanks for all your contributions. The reason I asked about white reflective tape was that I have plenty of it and none of the yellow or red.

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 20:10:06 »
This has come up before.

Red and Amber/Yellow OK/allowed at rear (same as your number plate and red reflector)

Clothing, helmets, rucksacks, not included.As not subject to MOT or Road Vehicle Lighting regs.

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=25745

Offline Brucey

• Bike: 2013 V-strom 650 (Voyager pack), 1971 Honda C90.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 19:33:59 »
White shows up the best at night, yellow during the day. I've got silver/white? on my boxes and never had an issue with plod. An ex-traffic plod friend of mine said that the only colour that could cause problems is blue, and even then you'd have to have a lot of it before they got interested. Regardless of what the letter of the law says, as Buggrit rightly points out, they've got much more important things to do than worry about something that is intended to make you more visible to others (for safety, not impersonating Old Bill), and you could always remove it if they were that bothered.

Offline biglad

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 20:05:51 »
I've got white reflective tape on my bike. I fitted it to the handguards, engine bars and the givi trekker top box. I filled in some of the black panels with it and the stuff I have is white day and night. I've been followed numerous times by the police and never been stopped.

Might need to takecmy topbox for the mot in a year!