Author Topic: Clutch problems????  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Bandit65

Clutch problems????
« on: June 01, 2015, 19:28:06 »
Hi blokes help needed, I've been getting a bit noise from my 2009 wee lately, at first I thought it was a loose chain, but after checking and found the chain is fine I'm thinking it's a clutch bearing problem, here's what's happening, cold bike I'm getting a sound of beer can being mangled up to about 30/35 mph, when I pull the clutch lever the sound goes, leave it out and it's back again, I've no issues with the clutch slipping no matter how hard I open the throttle, oil level good and checked regularly, no issues with vibration, bike really running well other wise, only 14,000 mls on clock, original owner sunshine rider, any ideas out there would be appreciated  :shrug:

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
Re: Clutch problems????
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 21:16:08 »
I have the exact same noises but with abit of a clutch slip.  I thought my chain was loose as well. I guess mine is going. Mine has 26k miles but since getting a new job in october and being a daily commute, that may have exercebated the decline. Maybe your clutch is going but showing different symptoms first. I will be picking mine up on wednesday and I will ask the mechanic if there was any obvious reason why that noise was there.

Offline Bandit65

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 22:25:51 »
Thanks that would be great, mine is used on a 10 mile commute most days, on days off I would put up approx 200 miles, hate to be without it, hope it's nothing too serious!

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 22:51:03 »
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 15:52:20 »
well got bike back.. Some of the plates were worn and he replaced the clutch cable as well but the noise was from the rear wheel bearing. There is the slightest of movement if you try and shove the rear tyre from side to side. Hope that helps. ooohh and I had n rear brake.

Offline Bandit65

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 22:08:36 »
Thanks for that my own is going in tomorrow to be checked out and service, let's hope that it's nothing serious, will report when I get bike back.

Offline Bandit65

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 15:05:33 »
Sorry for the delay in getting back but all is good, as it turned out the chain and sprockets were original and as the back sprocket and chain seemed fine it never entered my head to check the front, it was so worn that the teeth were turning back on themselves and not releasing the chain on slow speeds, new DID gold x-ring chain and a new set of sprockets bike running like new  :lala: Thanks for the help and information

Offline Chalkmyster

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 23:14:30 »
I wonder if this is what my bike is suffering from, sounds like metal churning at low speeds - dampening the clutch etc, with a loose clutch handle.

My chain and sprockets have now covered about 10k (DID gold) with the bike covering 25k miles now.
Regards,

Chalky,

Offline Bandit65

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 02:20:49 »
Mine had a little more mileage 14k scottoiler also fitted all unwanted noises gone!