Author Topic: Throttle Help Please  (Read 1066 times)

Offline ipod

• Bike: DL650 AL2
Throttle Help Please
« on: July 18, 2015, 22:17:22 »
Firstly the problem:

I have a DL650 AL2 Glee. When I accelerate normally all is fine, get up to speed great. Then when I hold a speed, 30 mph in 3rd gear is worst, it kind of judders and stutters. When I have to add throttle going up a slope its fine, but going down a gentle slope I close the throttle to reduce speed and have to then apply a little because of the engine braking, it jumps forward a little, so its off the throttle then add a little and here we go again. It's not a bucking bronco it's just very unsettling especially on corners.
  I have tried being more gentle but it seems impossible to keep it smooth on small amounts of throttle. I have had the bike for nearly 3 years and just over 9000 miles and don't remember it always being like this.

What I have done so far:

Started off by checking the interweb thningy. Many people who had similar problems pointed to the TPS being set wrong, so read up and watched the tutorials and checked the TPS. It was off by some way so sett it to where it's suggested. Did help but didn't cure.

Checked the chain and sprockets, the front cog had started to hook over a little, not gone but what the hell lets change them. So new D.I.D. chain and a set of 'silent' sprockets (so far they are pretty good, quiet but not silent). Adjusted the chain. Again it helped, but not cured.

Another web site said it was the throttle cables needed oiling, so again did this, as on push bikes I have had oiling the gear cable was helpful. Adjusted the throttle cable slack.  But this didn't seem to make much difference.

So my question is what else could it be and what steps should I take next.

Iam.
He's not the Messiah (He's a Very Naughty Boy)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Throttle Help Please
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 22:28:55 »
Has anything been changed recently or have you had a service done? I had something similar after a service and the dealership eventually traced it to the sparkplugs being listed incorrectly in the service manual. Iridium plugs solved my issue. I always mention at service this error & so far the dealerships I've used have said they got a bulletin from Suzuki on this...

(If you're bored read the 'Poorly Glee' thread)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 22:56:15 »
When I had Glee it was doing the same thing. Anything bellow 3000 rpm and you'd have to fight low opening throttle or start to feather the clutch. Now I own Vee2 and it had the same problem but only bellow 2600 rpm. Few weeks ago I installed X-TRE and now it's good all the way down to 1800 rpm.
Well, I guess you can call it the nature of V-Twin.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 23:17:11 »
Try 4th gear at 30mph. That's about 3000rpm so third gear it nowhere near lugging it. Still, you should not be having such a problem. Do not lube the throttle cables. They are Teflon lined. It already has Iridium plugs. Check the TPS adjustment. Put the bike in dealer mode. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html

The dash to the left of the -C00 should be centered on the C at idle an should never look like _C00. If you slowly increase the throttle, the dash should move to the top around 2500rpm. It takes about a half second for the dash reading to catch up with the rpm change so move the throttle slowly. If the movement is more than 300rpm off of 2500, the TPS needs to be adjusted.

Leave the bike in dealer mode when you shut off the ignition and wait at least five seconds after turning off the ignition before taking it out of dealer mode or you could change the idle speed control valve setting and the bike won't idle properly.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline ipod

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 18:39:07 »
Thanks for the replies.

Checked the plugs (well the one I could easily reach), it says NGK IR so guess that's right.

It's coming up for its 12 month service, only done about 1800 miles this year, been busy. So nothing changed.

Have re-adjusted the TPS. Did follow the guide that stated you wanted the line to move to the top as soon as you start to twist the throttle. That is now set to around 2500 rpm.
That is where it was weird. As I was setting the sensor the revs picked up, it did this a few times as I tried to hold the throttle steady. Then the revs went to 4000 without me moving anything, I let go of everything, and it eventually  dropped to tick over, then back to 4000, then tick over, then 4000, All without me touching it. I nudged the TPS again and it settled back down. It did this a couple of times. I eventually turned it off and gave it some time to cool down as it was getting hot by then. When I returned was able to set it fairly quickly.

I'm guessing this means the sensor is a bit temperamental and could do with replacing. If so where do I get a replacement sensor, they don't seem to be on fleebay.

Did take it on a test ride of course. Tried your suggestion of using 4th at 30mph, and it did improve the jumping, though it did feel a bit alien I can learn.
What it didn't help was going through a 3rd gear corner, just drop the throttle that little bit too much and then pick it back up, it gave a little jump that certainly made sure you were awake and made my a r s e grip the seat.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 19:34:45 »
No such thing as a 3rd gear square corner. Use second gear. On 30mph city street corners, I do 30 in 4th and tap down twice to 2nd around corners. It works like a charm. After a TPS adjustment, the ISC valve preset needs to be reset.

How to do an idle speed reset using a warm engine.

1) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2) Remove the seat.
3) Put the bike in dealer mode.
4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6) Then, wait more than 5 seconds.
The ISC valve automatically is set at the PRE-SET position.
7) Take the bike out of dealer mode.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline ipod

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 21:05:26 »
Thanks for your suggestions.

Did the idle speed reset, not sure it made too much difference but something else learnt.

I'm beginning to think some of this is just me. It seems to change throughout the ride from being fine to being twitchy. Will try and put some miles on it and see if I just get used to it.

Thanks for help Iam.