Author Topic: The Art of Continued Safety (or "How to be Conspicuous”)  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: The Art of Continued Safety (or "How to be Conspicuous”)
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 20:55:06 »
Permanent headlights punch a huge hole in your silhouette. If you photoshop the lamps to the same colour as the bike, the shape is more visible and recognisable. Add that to the way we judge an approaching objects' speed, I.e. by how quickly it appears to grow larger in relation to the static background, and you can understand why many of us were opposed to the "always on" lights when they started to become the norm.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 21:01:19 »
I already do reasonable high viz with my high-viz jacket, but I still think they will get you if they are not paying attention (it's the old "too much high-viz so I've learnt to filter it out" problem. I still believe that the more light on the front the better - especially if it's main beam equivelant so drivers will look at you if only to complain about being dazzled.

But Hello, if they are busy complaining then (a) they saw you and (b) you're still alive.

With regards to the video I did wonder why he didn't use his horn much earlier (rather than shouting from inside a helmet) and why he didn't anticipate the danger (when the lorry driver kept coming) and move to the other side of the road.

But I guess it's easy to be an armchair rider with these videos.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 21:18:49 »
Good point Rusty regarding the way lights break up the silohouette. How about lights outside the silohouette?
High Viz vests are a start but I'll stick with my dayglo lid and dayglo jacket with sleeves. And a noisey exhaust. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 23:20:47 »
I think one of the limitations that restrict high visibility is the law regarding coloured lights and constant lighting. There's a reason the emergency services use flashing blue lights, but we aren't allowed either flashing or anything that isn't white, red or amber.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 10:25:21 »
Quote from: "TLPower"
High Viz vests are a start but I'll stick with my dayglo lid and dayglo jacket with sleeves. And a noisey exhaust. :)
I recognised it was you coming towards me from some distance when searching for you lot on the recent Dales outing, so you are very visible if someone is looking.

ProfG

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 10:40:24 »
While lid, High viz jacket, headlights and loud pipes that would awaken the dead.

Riding in the outside lane overtaking a car with the driver's side window rolled down. The pratt still pulled out. Lucky I had anticipated the moron's likely behaviour him driving a BMW (need I say more?). And what does he do? Pretend he has not seen me by just looking ahead.

Offline trevorcee

• Bike: DL650 K4
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 18:06:52 »
the lorry driver,should have his licence taken off him,he should of slowed right down,maybe even come to a stop before he even attempted to turn,that way he could of seen the danger through his passenger side window,the biker had stopped and given way,lorry driver was just not looking