Author Topic: Electrical fault  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Hawktech

• Hawktech
  • Bike: V-storm 1000 2014 ABS
Electrical fault
« on: May 09, 2015, 19:34:31 »
Washed my 2014 v- strom 1000 yesterday and rinsed it of with a light spray using a Hosepipe. Put the hose away and on returning to the bike I was shocked to see the headlight on then noticed that all of the instruments lights were also lit! Note the key was still in my pocket and out of interest I pressed the starter and it turned over but didn't start? The LED immobiliser was flashing and after a short time I could start it but the ABS and TC LED's stayed on? I dried and sprayed WD40 around the ignition but have not had a chance to test it all again so fingers crossed? Booked in for a service next week so will report it as not exactly happy with only 1500 miles on the clock! :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Electrical fault
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 21:06:21 »
Good reason for me not to wash my bike.

I had a BM that the switch at the bottom of the ignition failed in the always on position, that gave similar symptoms to your bike, it was an easy / quick fix, hope yours is.

Offline bigmadstu

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:48 »
Had exactly the same fault with mine, ignition on with key out etc. It was corrosion in the connectors under the tank. Not all the connectors under there are waterproof. The fault on mine "developed" to the point where the ignition was always on and the only way to power off the bike was to disconnect the battery. My dealer fixed this by removing the offending connector but Suzuki later insisted on a new wiring loom. ( Dealer fitted so they have properly waterproofed it. )

Offline stroming

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 14:46:29 »
I have just had the same fault ,was going on holiday sat morning, not good the dealer just told me that they can pick bike up on friday which is no good to me, will have to cancel not happy at all ,

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 18:54:47 »
I would ask for a courtesy bike for your hols....OR they can have yours back and keep it.

You could reject the bike as a 'lemon' if its around 6 months old mark.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advi ... car-rights

If you agree to let they 'fix' it,then you are going along for the fiddle around and wait for parts scenario.

Perhaps Suzuki will do something about this if it starts to cost them money...............

Tell them your insurers are cancelling your cover as the  bike is no longer immobilised to Thatcham 2 standard.

http://thatchamfitters.co.uk/thatcham_cat_2.htm   (PS-they might do if aware)

Offline stroming

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 15:43:13 »
hi bigmadstu, how long did it take to get the parts from Suzuki sent to the dealer,?  the main loom  and the ignition loom need to be  replace fair play to Thunder Road in South Wales they got on the case straight away.

Offline bigmadstu

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 20:38:05 »
Hi stroming, I don't know exactly how long it took to get the parts, I popped in one day and the parts bloke motioned me over and showed me the new loom that was going to be fitted. He did say that the ignition loom was on back order and this took another couple of weeks to arrive. The bike was running perfect at this point so I was happy to wait. They requested that I drop the bike off for a couple of days as they had never swapped a loom on this model before. Turns out it is straightforward and it only took them a morning.

Good to see your dealer is looking after you and I hope all gets sorted. :)

Offline stroming

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 13:17:27 »
big v-strom electrical fault all sorted it took a week from finding / ordering / and fitting new loom very good well happy with that , well done thunder road  :ty:

Offline Blade

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 15:56:52 »
Just had the same problem, had to disconnect the battery to turn off the ignition. Looks like this is a definite weakness on the Veek.
If you think you can, or you think you can't, either way; you're right.

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 21:11:27 »
Any joy Blade? Have you managed to get it sorted?

Offline Blade

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 19:55:35 »
In the dealers mate, awaiting an official modification.

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 19:24:16 »
Keep us posted on that modification

Offline Blade

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 18:44:43 »
Had word from the dealers, the bikes fixed. Thank f#*k. I'm off to Germany on Sunday for a weeks biking bliss.
It's had new right hand switchgear, new ignition assembly and they've replaced the front part of the wiring loom. Had the left hand side replaced a few months ago when the select button stopped working. Think I'll buy a BMW next time, get something reliable :grin:

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 21:39:37 »
Glad you're sorted an enjoy Germany :)  we're there in 5 weeks down the b 500 and over to Austria can't wait to ride the Veek overall there

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 20:21:26 »
Quote from: "Blade"
Had word from the dealers, the bikes fixed. Thank f#*k. I'm off to Germany on Sunday for a weeks biking bliss.
It's had new right hand switchgear, new ignition assembly and they've replaced the front part of the wiring loom. Had the left hand side replaced a few months ago when the select button stopped working. Think I'll buy a BMW next time, get something reliable :grin:

I couldn't imagine having problems like this on a new Honda,Suzuki should issue a recall to fix this and the other main earthing problem mentioned in another thread.