Author Topic: Just put a deposit down on a new V-Strom :)  (Read 4479 times)

Offline L3nny

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
Just put a deposit down on a new V-Strom :)
« on: May 21, 2015, 19:32:10 »
Been thinking about swapping my Fireblade for something more touring friendly for a while.

While browsing MCN classifieds yesterday I saw a great deal on a brand new V-Strom 1000 Adventure so took the plunge and put down a deposit.

Already thinking of what accessories to buy.

I'll be after a top box, a fruity exhaust and a Sat Nav mount, probably a screen as well but I'll see how I get on with the stock one.

Any recommendations on the above parts as well as other things that will improve the bike welcome

Cheers :)

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Just put a deposit down on a new V-Strom :)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 20:31:09 »
Hi L3nny, welcome to the forum! :)

Pop along to the intro section and say hello to everyone! :thumb:
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline petestrom

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 20:33:05 »
Hi L3nny and  :welcome2: there's a few Veek officionados on here so you should get some suggestions soon.
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 20:44:45 »
Congratulations L3nny. I hope you enjoy the new bike.

(Yes, I know you have already done an Intro!)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 20:55:02 »
I'll hide...!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline L3nny

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 21:47:06 »
Thanks blokes, already made a hello post a few weeks ago when I had my first test ride, was just waiting for the right deal :)

Offline 2WheelDrifter

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 23:11:31 »
Well done L3nny, you'll love the bike.  

I added the Suzuki top-box to match the Adventure panniers.  Quite pricy for the size and in hindsight I should have considered the Givi box.  It's so convenient though having the matching luggage and one-key system and when I head off I always have a large softbag over the rear seat anyway.  I have the standard screen and cannot decide on an alternative; whether to stick with the OEM taller screen or try something different.  I recently put on Suzuki tank and frame protector patches.  I have the white bike so went for the black tank protector patches as I think they give a good contrast.  I also have the Suzuki Sat-Nav mount which takes my Garmin bracket.  I see Touratech now do a bar that fits their locking mount.  Only criticism I have is that I prefer my Sat-Nav above the instruments (on screen) and have yet to find such a solution.  In hindsight I should have gone for the basic bike (as opposed to te adventure model) and added aftermarket luggage as I find the Suzuki panniers too small for extended tours.  That said they are of excellent quality and and easy to use.  It's unfortunate Suzuki don't do a larger version as the fittings are so integrated to the bike.  Hope that helps and enjoy once it comes along.  P

Offline L3nny

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 23:16:22 »
Thanks for the reply.

I've ruled out the Suzuki top box, too small and too expensive. Thinking of the Givi Trekker, probably the 46L one with that and the 2 Suzuki panniers I should have enough storage, I have a dry bag I can always strap to the pillion seat if I need to carry my tent as well.

I have an old TomTom rider which isn't as thin as a modern satnav. I too would want to mount it above the clocks, want to keep it as vertical as possible to avoid glare. Might just mount it on the bars to start with though.

Offline Blade

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:30:12 »
The Shad luggage for the Veek looks good and fits nice and close. Can't do a link on the I phone, search Shad luggage for 2014 v strom 1000.
If you think you can, or you think you can't, either way; you're right.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 08:16:16 »
Quote from: "L3nny"
and the 2 Suzuki panniers I should have enough storage,

If you decided to go with the Suzuki panniers, give me a shout and we might be able to do a deal  :)  I've got the Shad SH48 topbox, which you don't have to lock to keep it closed.

Adventuretech do a GPS mount that fits onto the screen mounts, but I wonder if the weight will overwhelm the mounts, so I have mine on the handlebars, but off centre so I can see it above my Givi XS308 tanklock bag.

Other things to think of adding on are sidestand enlarger and hugger. I've got the R & G sidestand enlarger and the Givi hugger to help protect the shock absorber from getting power washed in the rain.

Offline Frankenstrom

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 13:28:45 »
I have a Givi Trekker, think it's a 46L, got it originally for my 650. Not done any overnighters so can't comment on combined capacity but like yourself I have a dry/roll bag if not. I think it matches the stock panniers (they aren't big enough to warrant both n's) well enough and let's face it, it's behind you so you don't see when you're on the bike.

I have the Givi Airflow screen, works for me. Seems to be the best choice all round. I had it swapped out before delivery, just couldn't get on with the stock screen.

I'd second John's recommendations of hugger and side stand plate. I have neither as of yet but both are on my must buy soon list. Having seen them both of them on Johns bike I'm happy to go with the givi hugger/R&G plate. Just need some funds top up and I'll get them ordered up.

I'd also think about replacing the stock exhaust can. Apart from the aesthetic aspect it's reputed to make the engine run that bit more freely (although I've never run the stock can so I could be talking out my arse). And let's not forget how it sounds....  :)

Hope you enjoy the bike  :thumb:

Offline zippy

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 18:55:56 »
hi blokes, does anybody have any pics of the givi hugger please looked on the givi site but only basic,also what does the side  stand plate do as curious
thanks jason

Offline Frankenstrom

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 20:42:30 »
Zippy, google givi rear hugger DL1000 and click on images. There's some good pics of pretty much all givi 14+ DL1000 products on the pairofstroms blog (it kills my browser so not linking here).

Side stand plate is just a bolt on to the bottom of the side stand to give a bigger footprint so it's less likely to sink into soft ground, gravel, etc.

HTH.

Offline NTBooth

• Bike: Benelli Trk502x
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 22:31:02 »
:welcome:

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 19:50:42 »
Quote from: "zippy"
hi blokes, does anybody have any pics of the givi hugger please looked on the givi site but only basic,also what does the side  stand plate do as curious
thanks jason
Here is mine:
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline L3nny

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 09:42:04 »
I think I'll be getting the GIvi trekker top box, not sure whether to get the 46 or 52 litre version though.

The Adventuretech GPS mount looks good also, will definitely consider that.

May as well get the hugger too, will make cleaning easier.

Cheers

Offline frez

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 14:14:27 »
Quote from: "L3nny"
not sure whether to get the 46 or 52 litre version though

I've never heard of anyone saying they wished they had bought a smaller box.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline L3nny

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 14:52:10 »
There's a joke in there somewhere ;)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 21:06:14 »
Hi Lenny welcome to the forum and the Veek owners club! I'm sure you'll love the Veek. I've got over 4K miles on mine now and its starting to feel like its run in! I've made a Sat Nav bracket out of some aluminium and I've got an old tomtom go 500 which is running tomtom rider software ;) I'll upload a photo in the Veek section shortly. I've gone for larger givi trekker top box as it looks well with the stock panniers. Other mods I've done, fitted a scott chain oiler, installed 20mm handle bar risers as I have the high seat and I'm 6'2'', fitted another 12V cig socket under the seat for charging devices when the ignition is not on. Fitted a Fuel Diablo exhaust and that's pretty much it!

My advice too is play around with the front fork suspension settings, from soft to hard (make a note of the stock positions) as the suspension can go all the way from solid firm to very soft. The only weakness on the bike is the electrical connectors under the tank. Get the dealer to sleeve the ignition multiconnector  in a rubber sleeve and apply ACF50 or waterproof electrical rated grease. I've been told newer models now have all waterproof connectors, but its better to take preventative action at the start. Other than that the Veek seriously rocks. Enjoy and ride safe! :thumb:

Offline L3nny

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 14:30:51 »
Picked the bike up yesterday and went for a brief 200 mile ride to scrub the tyres in.

One thing I noticed about the V-Strom is it's not as good in cross winds as a sports bike  :shock:

Looking forward to some calmer rides soon  :)