Author Topic: Bulbs - Visibility - Fuel  (Read 1036 times)

Offline lekyuk

• Bike: DL650 L2
Bulbs - Visibility - Fuel
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:39:20 »
Hi,

Is there any benfit to a headlight bulb upgrade? I was looking as Osram H4 Plus nightbreakers but I'm aware brightness doesn't mean more visible. I've put similar in my car but not sure if this is advised or the done thing  on a bike.

On fuel, can you put the premium fuels in a Wee like Shell V-power

:shrug:

Leky
2012 AL2 650 V Strom

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Bulbs - Visibility - Fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:12:31 »
Get a headlight relay kit as a start point. That gets maximum voltage to the filaments as it bypasses all the various connectors and switches that all add resistance to the circuit. This will give you more light from the standard bulbs. After that you can play the bulb swapping game to see which you like best!
I just put 95RON fuel in my bike. It's what it has been designed to use and I'm more than happy with the performance and economy of my bike.

Edit: for extreme brightness and visibility you can fit HID lights. I've done this conversion to my brother's bike. The results are impressive.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 14:03:43 »
Both Philips and Osram do better bulbs than standard (but using same wattage) and along with relays as suggested you should find things better than standard. I know some who have fitted HID lights and then had problems with MoT testers not liking them.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 19:32:01 »
Looking at HID's myself too, but the MOT position is just not consistent and it appears to be down to the individual testers interpretation of the rules.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline edwardatherton

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 16:51:31 »
But it's only a matter of five minutes to swap the original bulbs back in if needed.

My bike passed MOT no issues, wife's bike (exactly the same) failed.

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 18:07:27 »
I think this question has come up before..

'Ride' magazine did a big shoot out of bike bulbs in 2010.

Its still a good in depth article if you don't have your own Goniophotometers and who does!

***(measure the spatial distribution of light visible to the human eye at a specific angular position)

http://ridershandbook.com/the-best-moto ... -test.html

Offline plumps

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 20:27:52 »
Hi, tried the Osram nightbreakers in an old Divvy I used to have - didn't really notice a huge difference, certainly not the 100% increase in brightness ! Obviously were better than standard - but standarad on a '97 Divvy was poop !