Author Topic: Belly Pan  (Read 1775 times)

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Belly Pan
« on: June 17, 2015, 16:46:46 »
Hi.
I have to ask this before I spend my hard earned.

The only belly pan I can find that I like is the power bronze one, I do not intend to go off road, just want to tidy the front a bit.
HOWEVER
The belly pan made by Suzuki for the later v strom looks good, bit more money but covers all the front, my question is, has anyone tried or has fitted one to an earlier bike, mine is a K6
Some advice either way would be good.
I cannot see an oil cooler on the later bike, so wondered if that might be a reason it would not suit, I also do not have any bars

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: Belly Pan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 17:21:56 »
I don't know about fitting a Glee belly pan to a Wee, I managed to modify the Suzuki one for the Vee to fit the Wee (as others around the world have just Google it).                                                                         However If I was in the market for one designed for the bike I quite like the look of this one.

Hope the link works                                                                                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DL-650 ... 20b0d2965e

Offline joderest

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 21:21:27 »
Thanks for that, I have ordered the power bronze one, as I like the fact that it sort of hides the oil cooler, but still allows a lot of air to it. I will be dressing it slightly with stainless bolts and a small perforated plate at the front, it should do the job I want it to, protect the oil filter and clean up the bottom of the engine.
As a footnote, when I changed the oil filter, it was VERY rusty on the top from getting hit with what ever the front wheel throws up, some of the corrosion was very deep, and it would not have taken a lot for it to be punctured. The last owner was not very up on oil and filter changes, unfortunately.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:50:16 »
Fitting a belly pan to mine has certainly helped with all the issues you are talking about and if you can customise   it a bit all the better, so  :thumb:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:31:30 »
There is a belly pan called a Moto Agora. I had one fitted to the wee when I bought it.
Looked tidy, but bolts came loose and needed tightening now and again. Plastic and soft aluminium. But it finished off the lower section nicely, protected the front of the engine from stone chips and the like but gave enough room to clean around it.

I think the maker had gone bust but you may find one on gumtree/ebay.
Mine was known as the grassbox so do expect some Mick taking if you get one.

Ride Coordinator

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 11:31:34 »
The Moto Agora also collected your grass for you didn't it Mr D?
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline joderest

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 12:16:54 »
That looks very well made, but I expect it would be expensive.
I have to be careful with what I spend, or the wife will have a go !!!!!!
I sold my old BMW F650GS for £1650, bought the V strom for £1500, and thought £150 would do the bits I wanted to do without upsetting her indoors, opps, how wrong can you be, well over that now.
She is a bit anti at the moment, as I said the GS would be my last bike, and have promised this will be the last, its very difficult after 45 years of riding to stop !, having both knees replaced did sort of get me towards giving up, but Hello, its only pain !!!
When I have finished restoring this bike, I will work out how to post pictures. I am pretty handy, and will try and impart some of what I do incase it helps out someone else.
Today, fitted two LED running lights, then installed a switch to turn off dip beam, so as not on during the day, the LED running lights are really bright, much better than the "bullet" ones, and seem to last a while, and I only pay £2.00 for two, then modify them by fitting them in a small tube and sealing them up to stop any water ingress. Then fitted under front fairing with two 1/2 inch copper pipe brackets. (I know, cheapskate !!)

Offline plumps

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 16:04:16 »
Hi,
I have a K5 and have recently fitted a Powerbronze belly pan - all fitted and looks great, did have to cut a small piece from the n/s rear of the belly pan so it didn't foul on sidestand safety switch wiring. All done with no problems, so pleased with bellypan, ordered a  powerbronze hugger and that looks good to!
All the best  :lala:

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 07:17:38 »
I have one of these spare was on the bike for about 50 miles, have the mounting bracket but not the bolts.
2008 650

Offline joderest

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 14:32:34 »
Thanks, I would have bitten your hand off, but investigation led me to believe that due to the early bikes oil cooler, the later belly pan will not fit, which is a shame as I quite liked the design.
I am 100% sure if you put it on the "for sale" section, someone will have it.

Once again, thanks for the offer.