Author Topic: Damped aftermarket front sprocket noise...  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
Damped aftermarket front sprocket noise...
« on: April 02, 2015, 22:12:40 »
Hi Chaps,

I recently changed the chain & sprockets on my Glee (proper DID chain and decent cogs) and got a bit of a shock from the noise (and increased vibration) of the aftermarket sprocket.  

I didn't think that the rubbber damper on the OEM front sprocket would make much of a difference but I was very wrong.

After a couple of weeks I had had enough of the noise and decided to change the front sprocket.  I had noticed a gradual decrease in the noise as the bits 'bedded in' , but no by enough, soooo...

I bought one of these:

and fitted it a couple of weeks ago.

I immediately noticed a reduction in vibration through the frame, throughout the rev range, but little in the reduction of noise.

Two weeks (and about 500 miles) later and apart from the little devil (another thread :)) I am much happier with the vibration, but the noise seems here to stay - so I'm just going to have to put up with it...

One question though - since there are many of you who have gone through more than one chain/sprocket set and have experienced the full lifetime of a chain - do they get any quieter over time?
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline sjh

Re: Damped aftermarket front sprocket noise...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 22:22:37 »
Got a link to the auction?

I still notice the increased noise since changing mine 2k ago, but would still struggle to spend £40 (cost of a Suzuki one iirc)

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 23:53:55 »
Hi sjh - I tried to find a current link on fleabay - but it looks like they flogged their latest batch, so I jacked a picture off my purchase history instead.

The link's here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281602306843? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The details are as follows (in case the link won't work):

Suzuki DL650 K7-K10 V Strom 07-13 Ognibene 15T Silent Front Sprocket (STD Size) - (that's the title of the auction) - it cost me £18 (free del)

The sellers are Biketorqueracing, but having gone through their entire ebay shop I can't find anything now :( - sorry.

Their own website sells them - but as far as I can see, only as part of a complete set... at £100  ###  here's the link (for what it's worth...)  http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/ognibene

I guess I just got lucky - I had thought that they were a lot more common than that :shrug: .

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:03 »
Ambergnat, I have the older wee, but changed the front sprocket to an 'one-damped' one, didn't notice any change in noise or vibes! Is it worth checking your chain + rear sprocket (wheel) alignment? :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 11:03:21 »
+1 to Gassoon's statement and also check the chain tension.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 12:43:18 »
When I changed mine I still had noise, turned out the noise was actually coming from a fecked hub bearing, changed that as well and all was good.

Offline Ambergnat

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 00:15:48 »
Thanks for the input chaps -
Quote from: "Gassoon"
Ambergnat, I have the older wee, but changed the front sprocket to an 'one-damped' one, didn't notice any change in noise or vibes! Is it worth checking your chain + rear sprocket (wheel) alignment? :shrug:

Definitely! - I'll be doing that this week.  I did wonder about hub alignment, having replaced all bearings on the back recently (just after changing the chain/sprockets) the sprocket bearing having eaten half it's cage and using the rest of it to file down the spacer! - and had a discussion with others here ( viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25733 ) about the wheel bearing seating positions and subsequent wheel alignment as I'd put the wheel bearings on in the 'wrong' order (according to Messrs Haynes & co anyway) but had been reassured that it would only be a matter of a mm or less, which shouldn't have made a difference...

However, in my zeal to 'improve' things as much as possible whilst I had the back wheel off the bike I also gave the cush drives the inner tube treatment too (small strips of bicycle inner tube on the outer edge of each cushion - revitalizes the rubbers and effectively extends their lifespan) but the rubbers didn't look that worn and the newly refurbished hub was as tight as a nuns chuff to get back on -  and may conceivably be further out of line than I'd realised...so its possible I might have over done it...?

Quote from: "putbinoot"
When I changed mine I still had noise, turned out the noise was actually coming from a fecked hub bearing, changed that as well and all was good.

The front sprocket noise started immediately after I'd changed the chain & sprocket and was running on the old sprocket bearing - sans cage, (after 2 hours twisting bits of broken metal out of the damn thing) - I'd only just discovered the damage to it and hadn't had time to order new bits yet (and before I'd actually decided to tighten the hub rubbers) - and I can safely say that was a fraught weeks' riding! - loose bearing balls and a movable inner bearing ring made for a sphincter factor of at least 6.8! but, like you had experienced I'd also assumed that it was the fecked up old bearing making the racket  - and got a very unpleasant surprise when it carried on after replacing all of the bearings....

Soooo - I'm not at all sure of myself at this point.

I'm off for a week, so I plan to do some tinkering and I'll see if I can't get the noise down somehow, as well as wiring in the new tuono mirrors (with led indicators  :grin: ) and fixing the (newly home made) heated apparel controller which doesn't seem to be behaving properly either... :bawl:

Quote from: "tallpaul"
+1 to Gassoon's statement and also check the chain tension.

Checking that almost daily as I neglected the old chain horribly, didn't oil it for weeks (in winter!), noticed a kink in it - oiled it and it sagged almost immediately, so I tightened it to the correct tension - only to have to repeat it three days later, and again three days after that - at which point I ran out of space to push the wheel back and had to order a new chain/sprocket there & then;most embarrassing!

Definitely need to invest in a chain oiler of some kind... (or make one... :) )