Author Topic: Who Else's 2014 V-Strom Cuts Out?  (Read 8187 times)

Offline oddbod

Re: Who Else's 2014 V-Strom Cuts Out?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 23:10:02 »
Yep, so did I but apparently Suzuki say different. They have also taken the trouble to put that into writing for me. How kind. If not entirely accurate!!
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 07:33:38 »
I cannot understand the need to give the throttle a quick flick before setting off. With a big engine like this just squeeze the throttle a little and you are away smoothly. Surely one is not sitting there giving the throttle a quick flick like being on the grid waiting for the red lights to go out.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:50 »
Due to the unpredictable cutting out when idling I have got into the habit of giving the throttle a quick flick to get the revs up to try and avoid the cut out. The bike definitely still seems to be very lean when idling. Its even cut out on a cpl of occasions whilst stationary in traffic and no hand on the throttle.
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 11:05:49 »
Oddbod it's a shame you're having this issue as you know they are a great bike, maybe I am lucky as no gripes at all. I do hope your bike is sorted soon.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 13:32:10 »
Cheers ziggy.

Apart from the cut out issue, yes, its a great bike all round. Totally love it!

I will persevere and update as I go along
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 17:57:49 »
I've put nearly a 1000 miles on mine and no problems with stalling or backfiring. The engine has a big cylinder capacity, the engine management side of things works hard to keep it running smoothly at low speeds. Like ziggy says it's a shame you're having issues

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 18:35:51 »
I have a quick flick/blip habit, I do it just before I think the lights might change for me. It's not sitting there revving it like a lunatic, that's completely different. It's a little reassurance that everything is running and ready to go. I often do it when I put the bike in first after being in neutral at the lights. It also helps the sleepy car driver on his phone in front of you to perk up and pay attention :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 18:55:59 »
I blip the throttle on occasion and I've had all the twins I've owned cut out, from the 30 year old cx500, 650 drag star, vstrom 650 and the 700 deauville.
Vtwins do not respond well to sudden blips of the throttle due to v twin cylinder arragement. Narrow angle twins are worst as the crank travels further around from firing it's sequence of cylinders to the next sequence.
The more cylinders you have the less issuse you have when blipping the throttle.
blipping the throttle sharply and shutting it, even very very briefly will cause air to enter the fueling system but FI systems will not add fuel until the sensors say the crank is in the right position. Effectively you are outwitting the engine and causeing it to run too lean for a very short time but sudden enough to cut the engine.
The lean running on the 1000cc engine will make this issue more apparent.

I had to learn to not do it with my 700 Deauville. Its cut out every single time I did it. It was a regulary reported non-issue on the owners forum.

If you don't blip the throttle it won't happen- simples.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 21:10:51 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
I
Vtwins do not respond well to sudden blips of the throttle due to v twin cylinder arragement. Narrow angle twins are worst as the crank travels further around from firing it's sequence of cylinders to the next sequence.
The more cylinders you have the less issuse you have when blipping the throttle.
blipping the throttle sharply and shutting it, even very very briefly will cause air to enter the fueling system but FI systems will not add fuel until the sensors say the crank is in the right position. Effectively you are outwitting the engine and causeing it to run too lean for a very short time but sudden enough to cut the engine.

Interesting, Mr Diver! I'd noticed this stuff, but never really thought about it  :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 21:21:32 »
The whole problem with blipping the throttle and it cutting out was explained by a mate who builds harleys. Its something that affects evo engines quite a lot, but they are so agricultural with such a big flywheel they tend to try and die but the mass of the flywheel keeps them spinning enough to stay alive. But get the fueling set up slightly wrong and they'll cut out too.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 06:32:08 »
1200rpm = 20 revs per second so surely the blipping of a throttle to cause the problem must be very quick and happen consistently at just the wrong moment, as in 0.10 seconds the crank will have turned two revolutions which equals one suck squeeze bang blow cycle.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 13:33:08 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I have a quick flick/blip habit, I do it just before I think the lights might change for me. It's not sitting there revving it like a lunatic, that's completely different. It's a little reassurance that everything is running and ready to go. I often do it when I put the bike in first after being in neutral at the lights. It also helps the sleepy car driver on his phone in front of you to perk up and pay attention :)

Exactly what I am doing!! I think I have adopted this flick/blip habit as a result of the cutting out issue. It could be that I am making it worse, not better! Even though I still believe the bike is possibly running a bit too lean at idle I will endeavour to try and undo the flick/blip habit (riding tuned 2 stroke engines for nearly 20 years has also helped to encourage this habit).

Quote from: "mr_diver"
Blipping the throttle sharply and shutting it, even very very briefly will cause air to enter the fueling system but FI systems will not add fuel until the sensors say the crank is in the right position. Effectively you are outwitting the engine and causeing it to run too lean for a very short time but sudden enough to cut the engine.
The lean running on the 1000cc engine will make this issue more apparent.

I have read this elsewhere, so as I have said above, I will try and adapt my riding.

With the above said, I think I may pay the remap bloke another visit and see if he can adjust the remap to richen up the leanness at the bottom end. There is no escaping the fact that the remap has significantly reduced the cut out and erratic throttle response along with improving the smoothness and ride ability of the bike throughout the rest of the rev range.

Appreciate all your comments on here folks and will keep you updated.
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 16:53:12 »
Perhaps bumping the idle up a tiny bit might also help? :shrug:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline oddbod

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 16:57:40 »
No way to do that apparently, apart from adjusting the TPS which has already been adjusted to 28.9
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline fear_factory84

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:02 »
an italian user with cutouts problems said that his Suzuki dealer solved it's problem by changing the throttle valve hose clamps.
They were loose and air passed in..

Maybe this could be helpful for you.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 11:25:18 »
its certainly worth checking out. Although I think I will check them myself
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 12:29:49 »
Any news odbod?
Sometimes I have the same problem. Today it happened twice. First time exiting my garage, steep ramp on sharp turn. It didn't stall because I quickly squeezed the clutch, but as I was leaning, it lost the momentum and I almost went down. Foot-down saved me. I was not blipping the throttle, just trying to apply the throtle gently, as I do every day at the same spot on that ramp. Then, I arrived to my work, and this time I did blip the throttle and it stalled. Didn't metter much, as I was with my feet down already, parking the bike.
My doubt is, it happens like 2-3 time a month on my bike, though I do exactly the same things on the same spots every single day.
What I learned is, when I feel it like it will stall exiting my garage, the rest of the ride will be with the stalling problem. If everything is OK on my garage exiting, the rest of the ride I can do whatever I want, blip the throttle, play with it... it will never stall.
Tried different things, like warming up the bike before the ride, not warming up, starting the engine and taking off immediately... but it seems that is not the reason.
The only thing I noticed is that whenever it happened the morning was cold.
Have the bike since September so I don't know how it will behave in the winter.
This morning temperature was 15ºC. In the winter it will be somewhere between 5ºC and 10ºC in the morning.
Is the ambient temperature the reason?
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline mjc506

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 12:56:01 »
Hmm... I wonder... (the following is complete guesswork, so don't rely on it)

On my wee, I can fool the ISC by holding the throttle very slightly open - initially the revs increase to ~1600rpm before the ISC 'corrects' back to ~1350rpm. Releasing the throttle then makes the revs drop down below 1000rpm and the ISC takes a few seconds to recorrect.

The above effect is more pronounced in cold weather - I imagine the ISC perhaps is closer to one end of its travel so has to 'work harder' to keep idle speed correct?

I'm wondering if something similar is happening with your Vee - if the throttle blip or perhaps clutch usage catches the ISC unawares, it could push or allow the engine speed to go too low?
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline fear_factory84

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 11:36:20 »
Quote from: "bosnjo"
Is the ambient temperature the reason?

maybe...
my Vee2 is not affected by full cutouts, but sometimes is rough when I ride in slow traffic.
I found that a way to get it to be gently, is to ride aggressively for some minutes ( > 5000 rpm), and then all the roughness at low revs is gone....
You can try that when you see that it tries to cut out.